1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

84 500ae

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by ct cr430, Jan 13, 2020.

1. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Just starting to diagnose my friends 500ae . It didn’t run when he 1st bought it , found out no spark . Looks like a previous owner had this problem as the box of parts had what I believe to be the original mini six stator , a 2nd flywheel and a few different coils . The flywheel in the parts box had a different I’d number than the stator in the box . I was able to get spark by using a motoplat coil with a red lead , none of the other coils worked with this stator . The bike ran like junk , a pw50 would have blown it away . I have not ruled out replacing the engine seals yet but think I will have to . Back to the ignition , flywheel on the bike has same serial number as stator in parts box and the flywheel in the box matched the stator on the bike so someone along the way swapped stator but I don’t know why they didn’t also swap flywheels . I know motoplat should be matching but how far could the timing be out ? I believe the original mini 6 is the 3 wire one and the stator on the bike is different . I have not stripped down the bike far enough yet to put a dial indicator in the plug hole yet as I have a few other projects going at the same time and space in limited right now but until I can make room can anyone tell if this stator is even somewhat close to where it should be ? Thanks .

Attached Files:

2. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
  3. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
  4. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    1 ) test stator and HT !

20 and 30 OHMS !
  5. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Thank you for your reply , I should have been a bit more clear . I do have good spark with the stator that is currently on the bike with a red lead coil . What I believe to be the original stator does fail the ohms test . I do know that the stator and flywheels are to have matching numbers which they did not but I do have the correct flywheel for both stators . While both flywheels look the same other than the numbers the stators are different in appearance. What I’m looking to find out is by using the non matching number flywheel with the stator mounted to the bike how much the timing could be off ? Putting both flywheels together lining up the jetway it looks like the timing hole is very close if not the same location on both . My other question was about the stator that’s on the bike now , until I get the time to set up a dial indicator and check the timing as found from the previous owner , does the stator look close to were it should be . I’m just trying to multitask a little bit while waiting for more parts to arrive for other projects , all left kickers just not all Husky’s .
  6. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    Ideally you want the stator and flywheel to have matching numbers for the timing to be where you set it at with the pin in the holes lined up. If you have spark you can set the timing with a timing light when you have miss matched stator and flywheel.
    Have you done a compression check and also leak down test? 430 autos are tough on crank seals due to the heat they generate in the trans oil.

Marty
  7. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Thanks Marty , no I haven’t got to do a compression or leak down tests yet . I do have the correct flywheel for both stators but I haven’t had the time to check timing yet . These German left kickers and holidays have received most of my spare time so far . I’m hoping to be able to spend more time on this 500ae in the neat future to diagnose the issues . I spent 2 hrs looking for the flywheel puller yesterday , couldn’t remember where I put it . Found it in a tub of Maico parts I brought back from Vt . I’m so strapped for space until I can get this 81 250 Maico together a bit more . Too many projects , too little time . I do it to myself every winter . I bring too many bikes home to work on Incase I hit an impassion then move onto another bike while waiting on parts .
  8. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    Sounds like me, each winter get I would get my self jammed in tight sounded by bike projects and a vintage VW bug project. I had to build a new shop two years ago so now have some breathing room. Working outside is impossible with it snowing a lot in this part of Oregon.

Marty
  9. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    I wish I could build a shop right now but not the right time for me . If and when I leave the company I work for having a good garage/shop is a high priority but hopefully move out of this state to do it . Most of these projects aren’t mine but I’m helping out a close friend with his collection .