1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

83XC 500 - Anyone know of a Modern Silencer match?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by hawaii-rider, Mar 16, 2009.

1. hawaii-rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2018 TC250, 2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    04 CRF-270x, 95 CR500, 93 CR250 etc
    have my XC to the frame in the garage, ordering parts and related (all small stuff)

Anyone here know of a close match of say an FMF silencer or related that is pretty close in match up

Have access to TIG and machine work to tighten things up.....
    so perfect is not the requirement, close is.

Thanx!!

HR
    :cool:
    :usa:
  2. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hawaii,

Try "Vintage Iron" in Cali. I think they make one. About $120.00. The ones I've seen look good. If I didn't already have one prepped and ready to go or needed one - they would be at the top of the list.

Original stock ones pop up on ebay regularly. Those would be a great candidate for a resto/fab job.

Have fun and post up pictures. Pictures tell the story.

Oh by the way --- Sweeeeeeeet bike! you got there --- TFF

Rick
  3. hawaii-rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2018 TC250, 2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    04 CRF-270x, 95 CR500, 93 CR250 etc
    kewl...I will check them out.
    My stock one is like new, just looking at maybe rolling the noise down a bit with a good FMF for a modern CR500 or something...and rebuild capabilities all that stuff....

Just looking for options.

and photos?
    Now that i have her apart and looking a the things I need to get her race ready.....I will start posting the story.

New
    Tires and tubes
    all carb vent,fuel lines
    levers
    cables
    Fenders
    Gold Pro tapers

ah the wife should kill me by the time Im done on the Thumpertalk store tonight!
    :busted:

HR
    :cool:
    :usa:
  4. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just don't divulge the damage, or maybe fudge a little on the truth.
  5. rajobigguy Administrator

That's why I maintain a separate "dirt bike"-I mean gift giving account. That way I never half to explain things like why I needed a new helmet when I have three aready or how much I spent on the wife and kid at Christmas.:busted:
  6. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    Try DG-they used to make silencers for everything-lots of vintage stuff.
  7. plesh490 Husqvarna
    AA Class

8. Husky500evo Husqvarna
    AA Class

[IMG]
    Hi, this is my first post so please be gentle with me .Ive got to say, what a great site for vintage Husky fans . This is a picture of my '84 500 AE , that is currently undergoing a freshen up . I have been using the FMF muffler as shown , which I think was made for a KX500 . I removed one of the top mounting lugs & had the part that slips over the back of the pipe (off an original Husky steel muffler with the O ring seal) welded to the inlet side of the FMF muffler .
  9. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husky500EVO- how's it run with the silencer? Looks awfully big
  10. plesh490 Husqvarna
    AA Class

500 Auto. Cool. Haven't seen one of those in a while. Neat!
  11. Husky500evo Husqvarna
    AA Class

It runs & sounds really good with the FMF muffler. I also have an Answer S11 "Equalizer" alloy muffler off an '85/6 XC500, that fits & I am going to try out soon . The FMF muffler does look big , but only about 150mm of it sticks out once the sidepanel is in place .
  12. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

What a beast - no shifting - just wick it up - cool!!! I like it.

What happens when you let off the gas, other than hit the brakes HARD - freewheeling? Compression braking? I'm curious.

Rick
  13. Husky500evo Husqvarna
    AA Class

When you shut off the gas there is no compression braking , just freewheeling like you say . Sometimes , like when it is revving hard in second gear & you chop the throttle, it will momentarily shift up into third before decelerating ( much like an auto transmission in a car kicks up sometimes when you take your foot of the gas). This can be a bit daunting till you get used to it. My main fear is if the throttle ever sticks on full, there would be no way of stopping it & you would just have to jump off the back :eek:. I don't think the kill switch would stop it on full noise .