1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

83 dls wiper style seal???

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by HuskyT, Nov 2, 2009.

1. HuskyT Moderator

Can anyone tell me what the purpose of the little round but rectangular shaped wiper seal is that sits around the brake backer where the two excenters come through the casting? PN# 15 16 299-01?

When reassembling, the excenter (x2) goes through the casting hole,the wiper seal goes on, then the brake actuator arms followed by a flat washer and a 8mm nut.... what the heck does it need a wiper for? to keep loose dirt from getting into the excenter casting hole? if so why have the bushing come up slightly through the middle? The nut can only go on until it bottoms against the brake actuator arm and the rectangular tab it fits on....

You can't buy them anywhere so I am making some brand new ones out of 30 durometer .083 thick oil resistant pliable soft rubber....

Check out the 83 dls front brake parts page #29 for the exact item / location #15 (x2)

http://www.yourhusky.com/files/83-husky-parts.pdf

Anyone have a manual that explains what these are for?

T
  2. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I thought they were there to keep a gunk from getting between the arm and the backing plate. With the arm moving everytime the brake is applied it could wear between them. I replaced my seals with o-rings and lubed them with SilGlide, a silocone based lube I use in hydraulics. Brake actuators on trucks work on the same principle but use a lip seal and grease to keep contaminates out.
  3. HuskyT Moderator

Thanks for the reply Fleet!

See that is the root of my question. The steel bushing ( pressed into the casting) actually comes up and through.. the wiper never actually even touches the surface of the excenter shaft... so you think it is more to keep crap from building up between the casting and the arm itself? Or is it to keep crap out of the excenter/casting hole? by never letting it get close in the first place?

The material I am using will allow for a little compression and a little more flat surface area coverage than a o-ring but will still give the same action...

Afterthought: what size o-rings did you use?

T
  4. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class

T,

The seal is to prevent water/mud from entering the bushing area of the excenter to keep it from binding in the bushing. It's odd though that your bushing protrudes beyond the casting surface; I don't recall mine being like that. Do the bushings themselves have little holes in them completely around their circumference? If not, your bushings may not be stock. Hope this helps......

Tom
  5. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I looked at my backing plate. The bushings are level with the casting, they are teflon/bronze? with lubrication grooves/holes in them. I doubt mine have ever been changed, bike was used very little then sat for last 24 yrs. I dont have a dimension on that o-ring. I have a o-ring assortment but can tell you it was from Cat and brown color-high temp. I'm getting ready to re-do another DLS set up to go on my 82-CR250 and will have you a number on the o-ring then or can send you a couple. Scott
  6. HuskyT Moderator

The bushings are flsuh on the inside and are level with the casting itself on the outside. The recess is approximately .080" deep. Solid bushings appear to be some form of Stainless steel or possibly 18-8.

My rear brake backer has the bronze/brass type bushing with holes all the way around the circumference of the bushing itself.

Have any of you tried to press out these bushings? replace with new.????... I have one bushing ( rear) miking on the id at 12.49 mm and the other one (front) mikes at 12.57 mm.. I'm assuming that these will be an absolute mother to press out after being in there for years.

Source for new bushings....item # 14 Page 29 PN# 15 16 281-01 would like to rebuild with all new bushings if possible.....are the brass better than the sst?

T
  7. husky-parts.com Husqvarna
    AA Class

New o-rings are available @www. .com under wheel and brakes