1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

'83 & '85 Husqvarna 250WR dirtbikes???

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bigbill, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I do not see any of these anywhere online nor locally for sale or in person. Are these bikes rare or just not as popular as the '82 through '78 bikes?
    I don't even see them fully restored in the pictures.
  2. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Sorry I meant the '83 & '84 250WR husqvarna dirtbikes the last of the air cooled bikes.
  3. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i dont think they are any rarer than any other swede..500 maybe but not 250 and 430..i take it you have not been to the HVA FACTORY website?? andy is all about them.
  4. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    they were loosing their appeal c/w the Japanese about then.
  5. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Mine unrestored ! 240 wr Spéciale Brioude 2005.jpg
    justintendo likes this.
  6. wooddee Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 240 WR,09 300 WR.
    Here's a few, 84 400 WR water cooled, 84 240 WR air cooled and 86 240 WR water cooled. Classic Dirt 10 in Queensland Au last month. image.jpg

Attached Files:

oldbikedude, 454x and justintendo like this.
  7. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    the 84 milker motors in the 250 were a bit down on power and made strange power. it started with a bit of a rush then went flat before a pipsqueak top end burst. I rode one as a loaner for a couple of races (until the magnets departed the flywheel....) and I wasn't impressed at the time, as I was coming off a 250 kdx which had a monster engine.

I remember thinking during the first ride ( a local enduro) that it was weird and just didn't feel right. by the end of the day I was sold on the husky and ordered a watercooler. still didn't like the motor but I was assured the water cooled motor was stronger (and was).

at the time it was just IT's, KDX's, Xr's and dodgy regoed mxers. there was the odd kato and maico about but most people were just not into the huskys when everyone else was on single shox. it had a big impact on the husky sales in aus.

the other thing was the weird husky feel. unless you rode the bike for more than an hour or two you couldn't get to appreciate the husky way of doing things. a lot of guys rode my bike for ten minutes or more and went of buying Japanese as they didn't like the feel of the bike.
  8. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    The 84 250WR got the 83 CR/XC cylinder that explains the change in powerband between the 82/83 250WR and the 84. If I end up keeping the 84 250WR I have it will likely get an 82 cylinder put on as I ride in the woods, not the race track or desert. There is actually a Husqvarna service bulletin that involved updating the 83 CR cylinder with mods to an 82 250WR cylinder sleeve, then installing into the 83CR/84WR cylinder
  9. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I had a new '98 husqvarna 250wr and a new '99 husqvarna TE 610e and coming off from the 70's & early '80's twin shocks we me being 290# @ the time I could feel the aluminum single shock flex in a turn. I feel the front tire and rear tire picking two different lines. If we watch the motocross and supercross going hotter
    Into turns with no one around them that's why they go down. The twin olins on the air cooled husky frames are more stable in turns and off camber situations. I'm not afraid to push 6th gear to the limits down the straights. The twin shock frame and swing arm setup is more rigid. Watch the motocross and supercross guys when they go down in turns. The front wheel is in the rut while the rear swing arm is flexing while picking another line higher out of the rut. I'm surprised the manufacturing gurus haven't figured it out yet.
    If I being heavier notice it other big guys who ride should feel it too. I aligned my rear wheel dead nuts to the frame center line to the front wheel and noticed its the single shock rear swing arm flex. I felt it on the smooth pavement. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see someday the twin olins return.
  10. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    Ive seen a service bulletin for the 83 84 motors and the porting does a good job and gives the motor some life.
  11. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I can ride any husqvarna and feel comfortable on it like it was made for me. The fork rake, the handle bar position and rider position were spot on. To me even my '98 & '99 felt the same way.
  12. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 510TE , 300WR Etc...
    These bikes are 'bread and butter' for us. We race them all the time and have everything in stock to keep them running...

Worldwide shipping on a daily basis.

Andy Elliott
    www.hva-factory.com
  13. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    Free Plug for Andy.....:D:thumbsup:
  14. endurokids Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250WRX, CR167, 83 430WR, TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    75 Guzzi 850T
    All I ride/own are the "milk trucks".
    83 430WR, 83 250XC and 85 250WRX.
    I need a gas tank for my 85 250WRX, (new preferred).