1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

83-84 wr/xc 250

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Husq.fleet, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sorry for the title but its a hybrid, fancy term for a Johnny Cash model. This is my trusty trail/ everything bike. Its a 84 WR frame, 84 XC engine and suspension, 83 tank and seat. Love the way it handles. Lost conn rod last spring and its been parked since. I was bummed because it has a really nice ported jug and was on last oversize. I then found Wossner pistons and was saved by an availible oversize that Wiseco doesn't have. Just got the engine back together over the holiday. Just went through the clutch before it blew and I hadn't ever been into the cases. I replaced second gear and everhting else looked good. Has a NOS external Motoplat for it also. Put a CR head on it for more compression. Killing me not to start it but its not been over 15 deg last few days and for some reason my wife wont let me bring it into the house. She barely lets me in, or my dog. I don't like first starts to be in cold weather, kinda picky.
    Bike looks well used because it is. I have been through everything in it last winter, swingarm bearings, steering bearings, wheel bearings, brakes etc. etc. My riding buddy gives me grief because its not "shiny", it gets dirty!:thumbsup:

Attached Files:

2. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

See the ride report!
  3. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Seems like you have the right idea, I like the 83 tank better than the plastic ones which I think is 84 and on. The 84 frames seem prefered though I havn't rode one. The longer suspensin means you will case out the same as every one else on modern stuff. I note you have a progressive spring and a little spring so that set up is probably custom. With the 430 the cut out at the transfer ports is higher on the woosner than what was stock for those years and probably holds true for the 250, that may be a lot of the increase in power you feel. I see in the service bulletins linked here on how to make a 390 a 420 and hop it up modifying the skirts is one thing they did in the bulletin but not in the stock 420. A fresh top end always seems better anyway. I see you have the 87-88 clutch cover and kick starter did you try the curvy 83 or steel L shaped 84 complete starter assembly to see how they fold up? I note the offset in the piece the aluminum goes on is different and the rubber is different and havn't tryed to see how they match up.

Fran
  4. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I raised the piston ports higher on the Wossner also. It had the 84 steel kicker when I got the engine but it was "floppy". I'm 6'2" so I like the tall late alum kicker, have one on my 82 CR 250 also but didn't like it on my 82 430XC. Having the 87-88 clutch cover it had the rubber bumper for the kicker.
  5. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Spent most of the day tuning on my 84 ish WR/XC250- bike is a long story...... I ran 24-1 Scheaffers oil, Scheaffers rep said to run it and any lubrication failures he'd pay for, kool! Spent some time with my "mixed gas mentor" Harry Taylor before tuning and got a handfull of jets and stuff from him. Started with stock jetting and ran good but mid transition sucked, boggy and unclean. Quick phone call to Harry and he said cut 4mm off of the top of the needle jet. Did that and warmed it back up and tried it "holy $$$t"! What a rocket, like a new bike. Ended up moving needle one clip richer also after full throttle test. Before this bike would hold front tire up through 2nd easy but not thrird until way into it. Now it does from bottom of third, I'm also 290lbs. 24-1 oil mix, daughter behind me doing smoke check, none and no spooge. What a change in the signal it made. Taking my 82 CR250 out tomm. and play with it!
  6. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Done. No shiny stuff just a rider. S7301496.JPG

Attached Files: