1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

82 xc/cr frames

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by joe vanella, Jun 24, 2017.

1. joe vanella Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390,78' 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    79' Honda CR250,79' XR 80,2012 KTM
    Is the rake different on the 82 XC v.s CR v.s WR ? Is there a way to improve the steering? Clamps etc. Thanks
  2. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    75,82,83,2x84,85,3x86,87,88 and 89
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    What does help is some sag in the front or move the forks up a little more above the clamps.
  3. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    I agree. And the stock fork springs don't help. They are longer than needed so they install with too much preload, so the front doesn't settle well in turns. Also, the spring rate is VERY soft by today's suspension strategies, so they ride low and bottom when you're up on the pegs hitting stuff.

Race Tech sells a good spring for this 40mm fork that you can set up well. I run the .44's.

For a cheap temporary fix, you can cut the stock springs so that they install with 3-5mm preload when you use a 2" spacer.

You can run the single shock triple clamps which have more offset and reduce the trail a bit. This helps reduce the "over center flop" that the stock geometry has.

Use the straight rather than angled-back handlebar clamps for a more modern feel over the forks.
  4. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    you can just rotate the angled clamps thru 180 to get that forward modern feel. those early frames were targeted at the American "desert" market with legendary straight line stability but slower turning...working on getting the forks right and getting up on the tank and working hard to get the corners right
  5. joe vanella Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390,78' 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thank all. This points me in a direction. Appreciate any more ideas.
  6. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    If you have your Ohlins rebuilt at any point, replace the first compression shim with a 2-hole rather than 4-hole face shim. This will increase low speed compression damping and hold the rear of the bike up better in corners, but it only slightly increases high speed damping, which the shock needs as well, so it does not tend to add any harshness. You can see the shim in this photo, the one closest to the piston.
    IMG_6963.jpg

Some models also have an aluminum spacer in the shock as a travel/full extension limiter. If you remove it or use a slightly shorter one (again, at time of rebuild) and reset your sag from this new, higher extended length, they will also turn better. I like this mod on my WR because it's low to begin with and I want the quicker turning in the tight stuff I typically use the WR for.
    86 400 XC likes this.
  7. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    I need to do that to my scoot I rekon, just a tad soft of the mark
  8. joe vanella Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390,78' 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks again! I am going to rebuild the shocks and this all makes sense.
  9. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    whats the cost on rebuilding two Olin shocks?
  10. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    if you have to ask . you probably wont have em rebuilt.
    justintendo likes this.
  11. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    Around $700 for the pair with revalving
  12. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, it can really hurt if your 35+ y.o. shocks are toasted. Don't even mention full cosmetic resto's or rusty chrome. Yikes.

That's why, several years ago, I invested in a nitrogen bottle, a vacuum bleeder, and jumped in. I'd recommend learning how for anyone who's into bikes and doesn't have hundred dollar bills falling out of their wallet.

I have to say that it's pretty stinkin' easy as long as you apply the usual careful mechanical building techniques. I'm sure I've saved thousands by now, and I can have fresh shocks whenever I want. And I like to play with the valving, and do it frequently. Easy and inexpensive, once you're in the game.
    jack topper and 84scrambler like this.
  13. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    ideal for those with more than two old stinkers I rekon, well worth the effort
  14. joe vanella Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390,78' 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes. I have done the same. I bought the DVD.
  15. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

revalve kit is still like $150 for just the kit....no shims, oil, nitrogen, springs, whoops got a bent or pitted shaft, etc

The guys that rebuild deserve every penny as Ohlins parts are not cheap
    cruisetopdown likes this.
  16. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    Don't buy the kit to learn how. Get them disassembled and take a look. Thorough cleaning. Polish the O-ring land in the reservoir piston, and reassemble with new seal head and new Viton reservoir piston O-ring. Get the parts directly from OHLINS USA. Very reasonable. Refill with Maxima heavy shock oil. Nitrogen 150psi and go ride it to test the quality of your rebuild. Now you know how! If you need to go back in it will cost you pennies.
  17. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

On my early twin shock 84 Frame I took a more radical approach and re welded the steering head making it close to what the single shock 84 frame is. I will say that my 84 frame probably turns a bit better than my 82. But since I went to all the time and effort of coarse I'm going say it works better.
  18. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    Wow. Re-welding the steering stem is beyond my "weld safety" capabilities! I've considered lowering the seat triangle, and then adjusting fork and shock lengths to approximate this.
  19. euro bikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

84 triples were pulled in a bit more the 82/ 83.
  20. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I have found no significant difference in offset between anything between 1982 and 1986 in my triple clamp collection. Do you actually have a distance difference recorded? My inspection was overlaying top clamps and comparing the distance between the stem and tube centers.