1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

'82 wr250

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by skythrasher, Feb 21, 2010.

1. skythrasher Husqvarna
    AA Class

I picked up this jewel yesterday, and I am super excited about getting to work on it. I have wanted one for ever. My father raced several different Husky's in the Black Jack Enduro Circuit. I can't wait to get it going. My club is hosting the ISDT Reunion Ride In October. I hope to have it rideable by that time. I may need some of your help to make that happen.

[IMG]
  2. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '86 510TX / '90 250WXE / '87 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 KTM 525MXC / '91 KTM 300DXC
    Good find. That bike appears to be complete and original.
  3. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Skythrash,
    Nice scoot. Diamond in the ruff. Post up what your'e doing. All are interested.
    Rick
  4. skythrasher Husqvarna
    AA Class

I plan on giving here a quick run over the motor making sure everything is OK and safe to run and firing her off in the next few days. Has good compression and good spark.

Took the carb off tonight to give it a good cleaning and re-install. I have a brand new carb off an '82 that my dad took off a new bike in '82 and installed a smaller carb. He wrapped it up in paper and put it away in the box that the other carb came in from whomever he got it (I think SUDCO). Opened the box and she looks brand new. Even had to set and read some of the newspaper from 1982.LOL

It is missing the left sidecover and the silencer. I plan on going completely through her, as time allows. I want to uncover the "Swedish Lady" under all that dust.
  5. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Sure looks like a good start. Will be interested in your progress.
  6. HuskyT Moderator

I like the "forward" position of those bars!

Welcome to the Restoration side!

Looking forward to more pics and progress.:thumbsup::cheers::applause:

T
  7. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

i think you got a good one and you probably will be riding sooner than you think!
  8. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Good find! I love mine.:cheers:
    [IMG]
  9. skythrasher Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well, I started the tear down to start making a parts list and trying to get the work that needs to be done listed in somewhat of an order. I am trying to get set-up so that I can be working on one thing while waiting for the other so to speak.

When I got to the ignition the bike has a motoplat system. I understand that this bike should have a SEM. I think I want swap this out with an original type system. I really want the lights.

Would I be better off trying to find a SEM or something else? Is there someone willing to work out some sort of trade for this motoplat?

I am new to this so I am sure that this is one of many questions to come.
  10. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I have 3 1982 WR engines, (2) 250 and (1) 430. All 3 have Motoplat flywheels which have 2 yellow wires and a few other wires as well from the ignition. They are most likely the SEM ignition as they show 2 yellow wires indicating 2 lighting coils
  11. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    '82 250WR had SEM stock, 250XC had Motoplat with lighting coil. '82 430WR and 430XC had Motoplat with lighting coil. Just run the Motoplat, if it is one with lighting coil.
  12. skythrasher Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the info. I have not had much time to devote to this project, but I am ready to get back to it. I can't wait to get her riding.

I am looking for a silencer as well. I am currently using an old answer silencer that I have rigged to work. It doesn't look horrible, but not that great either.

Many more questions to come.

Thanks
  13. northforty Husqvarna
    C Class

1982 Husky wr 250

I have one also, rode it a couple of weeks ago in New Blaine Ark. AHRMA ISDT...had a blast.. my first AHRMA cross country
  14. IS this who I think it is fellow club member, I think your probably on the right track with the 250. I think my 430 XC is going to kill me. Too damn fast!! And in the tight woods a smaller displacement bike would be better. I am getting too old to hang on to it.

Pumphog
  15. skythrasher Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yeah Luther this is Jake. I am trying to find a silencer, and a left side cover for her. Let me know if you run across anything.
  16. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I second the motion of the 250. I have a 84 WR250 and its my favorite all-around bike. enough power but just not enough to keep me from being stupid. Thats why all my 500's are for sale!!! My 430XC makes my arms longer too:D