1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

81 cr430 clutch questions

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by ct cr430, Dec 28, 2016.

1. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    I've been doing some searches here on this clutch today as I'm thinking about replacing the aluminum plates with steel plates . I've read that the steel plates will not dirty the oil as fast as aluminum and some have said it helps in finding neutral . I know I can change the trans oil quite a few times for the price of new steel plates , which is still a good idea regardless of aluminum or steel but does anyone have any negatives to say about changing to steel plates ? And are the steel plates the same thickness as the aluminum plates ? The steels I'm sure must be slightly heavier , can you feel the difference if any ? Also is there a difference in the feel of the clutch ?
  2. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i cant really say ive noticed anything other than less drag, cleaner oil, and elimination of sticking..
    MXVet29 likes this.
  3. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    Same as justintendo. I ran alloy plates for years. Always had issues finding neutral when hot and a bit of slippage on the odd occasion. Changed to steel plates about 10 years ago. I can always find neutral, no slippage of any sort. No difference that I noticed with the extra weight, and the clutch pull is the same.
  4. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 WR400, 1985 WRX400, 1979 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    I haven't been on steel plates for all that long, but once I realized that some of the things I had learned to accept from the aluminum plates could be overcome by switching, it was a no-brainer.
    With aluminum plates neutral can be hard to find, and sometimes, even with the clutch lever fully depressed, power would transfer through the clutch to the back tire (particularly first ride after the bike sitting for a while). I used to keep a strap around the clutch lever when the bike was parked to prevent it from lurching the first time I put it into gear after starting it.

As far as thickness goes, I bought a complete clutch pack (fiber and steel plates). I have no idea if the plates were the same thickness as factory, my old plates were quite worn.
  5. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    How about letting the clutch out , any difference ? Any more wear on clutch ? How about stiffer springs , any recommendations ?
  6. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 WR400, 1985 WRX400, 1979 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    Again, I don't have a lot of bike-specific experience with the difference between steel and aluminum, but I would go from my Husky with Aluminum clutch plates to other old bikes with steel clutch plates and back for years without any difference in what I expected from the clutch lever. Really only difference in ride when moving from another bike with a steel clutch to my husky with aluminum is that the husky has the power of 10,000 angry demons pushing the back wheel (and the behaviors I note above), while my other old bikes just have a few tired horses. Never had to replace the springs (probably about due on one or two of my bikes), haven't worn out enough clutches to feel like wear rate is a big cost/concern in my book. Granted I'm not a racer, more of a weekend warrior, usually on terrain where I don't ride the clutch.

Clutch cover gaskets aren't that expensive. If you have wear life left in your current aluminum plates, ride 'em. After a couple months, pick up a steel pack and clutch cover gasket, change your oil and clutch, ride a couple months, make your decision then.
  7. Poireaunen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    swedish WR and TE
    I've steel plates on my 83 WR totally rebuilt. The declutching shaft is new too. The felling is perfect, more efficient than a lot of hydraulic systems
    but you'd find the same thing with alumium plates.
  8. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    I still have the alooominum plates in and the as well as the fibres are worn. the clutch needs a reco but its good to use I don't want to risk loosing a wimpy lever action (its better than a hydro atmo) to change to steel plates and new springs and fibes cos im sure it will need the hand of thor to pull that lever in once I mess with it.

same as the engine...comp is low but I only wave my foot at the lever and it fires up. I know if I freshen it up, starting will become a battle of wills...will it go...or will it kick my ass
    Eric The Leg and Eurofreak like this.
  9. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    On my 430cr build I was planning on going with a complete Barnett clutch setup.
  10. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    "im sure it will need the hand of thor to pull that lever in once I mess with it."
    My Guzzi has a hand of the gods pull, nothing I've ever ridden comes close, well perhaps an '82 KDX400. A Husky clutch is like squeezing warm butter in comparison.
    To the point of the thread, I know Barnett has steel plates. What other vendors might be available?
  11. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I have two newer engines with the extra clutch plates. I have the clutch covers too. I may use them in my two 430 builds with Barnett clutches. Who else offers clutches for left kickers?

The most important thing in the husky clutches is the play in the center release rod adjustment. Most of the clutches slippage comes from this rod adjusted wrong.
  12. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    I always preferred the Steel clutch plates over the Aluminum one as they don't warp as easily... Husky John
  13. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I see micoscopic flakes from the aluminum plates in the tranny oil.
  14. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    That's typical- it's why the tranny oil gets so grey with aluminum plates.