1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

'81-'82 CR/XC 430 differences ?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by bultokid, Feb 17, 2009.

1. bultokid Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '84 250/500 '87 250/430 '18TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bultaco, Fantic
    Hello to all, looking at a 430 as my next evo mx project and I recall the XC was cross/country but as a mx'er really only paid attention to the mx bikes. Had a '82 CR250 bitd and a 82 1/2 500 few years back and for me it just felt huge and heavy and I'm 6'2" 230. I've always heard positives about the 430 and I see a lot more XC's than CR's out there for sale was hoping someone could fill me in on the main differences as will be using it for Evo class mx and maybe a hs once in a blue moon. Thanks ride safe
  2. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    For 81/82:

CR: close ratio 6 speed, long travel, no bash bar under engine, no rear frame loop, floating rear brake.

XC: wide ratio 6 speed, same travel as CR, bash bar underneath and rear frame loop, fixed rear brake.

WR: wide ratio 6 speed, shorter travel and 1" shorter swingarm, bash bar underneath and rear frame loop, fixed rear brake, and headlight/taillight (not raceable lights, but usable). Also - 81 WR still had the 35mm forks, at least in the first half of the year.

There are some minor differences between 81 and 82, but no deal-breakers if you ask me. Ignitions varied between Motoplat internal rotor, external rotor, and SEM, but you'll have to look at the bike you're considering to know for sure... they burn out eventually and many of these bikes have replacement ignitions by now. Happy to get into it in more detail if you want. The 430 is fun fun fun and doesn't feel anything like the 500.
  3. bultokid Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '84 250/500 '87 250/430 '18TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bultaco, Fantic
    Picklito - Thank you for the reply I appreciate the info. I remember the '82 was a pretty good bike but as a 20yr old back then just had to have all the latest water cooling, single-shock stuff , you know how vain us mx'ers can be. Got into the vintage/evo thing back in '95 and tracked down a 82.5 500 restored it , raced it once and sold it, it just didn't work for me. Couple races later raced a '84 CR500 and man it felt like the Exxon Valdez to me and man that tank was HUGE and truthfully I didn't care for it at all. But from reading bunch of the old mags the 430 sounds like a completely different animal and I love the versatility of it, not to mention I love the look, funny as I get older functionality and simplicity WAY over-ride style and coolness.