1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

'78 250 OR Engine Restoration

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Puckerbush, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    DSCN2598.JPG
    This is pretty much a complete transmission except for the main seal. Notice the zip ties on the gear shaft and the linkroller. They hold on a washer that "must" be installed. This puppy had a bad second gear so I took a spare out of a 175 CC transmission as they are the same gears.
    DSCN2601.JPG
    You can see the washer on the top of the gear shaft that must be in place. Also note the transmission is in fourth position on the linkroller. The last indent is 6th, next 5th, etc. During assemble, the transmission "must" be in 4th position.
    DSCN2604.JPG
    Its hard to see but there are two teeth showing on the upside of the stepfeeder gear (under the gearshaft). If you don't get this right, you will be splitting the case again to correct it.
    DSCN2605.JPG
    Notice you see one tooth on the bottom side of the stepfeeder gear next to the linkroller. Also the stepfeeder gear must be installed with the flat side looking at you. Now once the main seal and the crank are installed, you can install the center case gasket and join the two case halfs. It wouldn't hurt to heat up the right case half so it installs easier over the mag side of the crank. Torque the case screws to 70 inch pounds and your finished with the transmission.
  2. irockmxer Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1979wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1987 hondacr500
  3. irockmxer Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1979wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1987 hondacr500
    fellow mxer, maybe u can help me. I cant seem to make things go back together.I may have mixed up the three shifting forks dont know. Just for your info i probably did 4 of these transmissions back in late 80s.help?thanx
  4. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    Irockmxer: Go into the technical section of the "left kickers" and bring up the parts lists and diagrams for the year and model you have. These will help you to see which shifting forks go to which shafts and verify the washers that must be installed. Look over my pictures carefully and make sure your parts are installed similarily. It's not that hard if you take your time and pay attention to the diagrams.