1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

76 WR360 tranny issue.

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by martinfan30, Dec 17, 2008.

1. martinfan30 Husqvarna
    B Class

Hey guys, Just helping my dad out a bit.

He has restored this bike which I rode as a kid, and is having a trans. issue.

It is locked up in any gear but fourth (direct drive).

I am a long time Toyota tech and have rebuilt many manual transmissions. I just wonder if there is any semi common problem when reassembling these gear boxes that cause problems.

Haven't looked at it yet, but I know things as simple as a gear installed backwards, or a detent missing can cause problems.

Thanks for any tips!
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Welcome Martin, it might take a couple of days but someone will probably help out.

:cheers:
  3. martinfan30 Husqvarna
    B Class

OK, cool. Thanks Dean.

I know you are used to the "Spaghetti Husky's".

No one is perfect....

:lol:
  4. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Couple of things to check for, because years ago, I had one of these trannys that did the very same thing. It took forever to find the issue.

1.) Make sure that you get a blow up of the whole tranny (Schematic), spacers, clips, etc..... Has to be re- assembled to the T. If one gear was put in reversed, switched, etc.... you will have this problem.

2.) Make sure that none of the shafts got bent from a gear riding up on its mating gear. Use a dial indicater in a v - block. Mine was off a couple off just .000 (Can't remember how many .000) and was the whole problem. It took forever to figure out the problem.

3.) Make sure that your shift forks and cogs are not bent or have wear indents in them.

4.) I usually assemble the tranny in one side of the cases, squirt it with oil and try to move the counter shaft while shifting through all gears. You might need to get a few other hands involved to try and keep the shafts lined up while doing this. I used to put a strip brass on a set of vice grips ( Be careful) to clamp (lightly) onto the shifter cog to move it through the gears.

5.) Make sure that you have good bearings for the shafts to ride in.

6.) If it worked before you took it apart then I would say that something was re-assembled wrong ( gear backwards, shim wrong place, etc.. .

7.) If a gear was found chipped, bearing out, and was replaced, then the chip or any foreign matter got (Could of ) between the gears and bent a shaft ( Doesn't take much). Make sure that if gear was replaced, it was the correct gear.
  5. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    If you are around northern illinois ???? I could run by and help out.
  6. martinfan30 Husqvarna
    B Class

OK, thanks for the info. I'm getting into it this weekend.

Actually I'm in Northern Nevada, but thanks for the tips man!

I'll let you know what I find.:thumbsup:
  7. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    PS: Go to http://www.halls-cycles.com/

Go To The Parts Section and you can Download a PDF File schematic of the tranny, spacers and layout.

It looks pretty clear and should help you reset that tranny back in.

Thanx! Typpyt
  8. martinfan30 Husqvarna
    B Class

Got it!!!:applause:

It was a bent shift fork, the left side fork on the rear cluster.

Replaced with a spare one from another tranny and we are golden!

Thank you sir.:cheers: