1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

'76 WR250 Clutch Issues

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Marcgregory, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Marcgregory Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '76 WR250, '76 WR360, '77 360 Auto
    Hi All,

Was warming up my 1976 WR250 this weekend and took it for a short ride down the road and when i came back the clutch lever all of a sudden had an enormous amount of slack in it, so much that i could not correctly adjust the cable at the lever. So i took off the side case and inspected the clutch, looked fine, and adjusted the clutch rod again. Started the bike up and took for a short ride, was fine, went for another short ride and the clutch lever now has the same issues of enormous slack. Anyone know what my issue is here? It has the rubber dampened clutch. When i adjust the clutch rod i just stick a rod in the holding slot and tighten the nut until the clutch lever on the engine is properly adjusted. Am i doing something wrong or forgetting a step?

Thank you!
  2. Houredout401 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '77 CR250 '78WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '76MR250 '83IT250 '84 IT490 '69CT70
    When it had slack did the clutch slip? Sounds like something is hanging up - either the plates on the basket, or the clutch actuator arm sticking out of the right case.
  3. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    im only familiar with the 84+ clutches but I had this happen on the 510. I thought the plates had poohed themselves but after some fiddling it was all good?

try screwing the adjuster rod all the way in till its a bit tight with no freeplay then back it off till the freeplay is right. if as houredout says, it hanging up, it should get past this. disconnect the cable and check the freedom of the arm to move, they can get pooh in the shaft and partially seize.
  4. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Lube your clutch cable/housing. Maintenance
  5. Marcgregory Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '76 WR250, '76 WR360, '77 360 Auto
    I think I figured it out after playing around with it for a while. I noticed the locking nut wasn't tightening all the way down because of some gunk or maybe loctite on the adjusting screw / locking nut. I took the adjusting screw all the way out and cleaned it up really good on a wire wheel along with the locking nut. I took it for a couple of rides and everything is good so far. Hoping that was the issue. Thanks everyone for the replies