1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

74 400 Kicker

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Randyhowell713, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Randyhowell713 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 cr430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bull rokon
    Is there a better kicker for this beast
  2. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    I don't think so, the only other left hand kick start that I am aware of with the same splines is off the Rotax 2st as used by CanAm etc. and they are rarer than Rocking Horse Droppings!!
  3. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    I've never heard of another lever fitting your spline shaft while clearing the exhaust. If the problem is not enough kick lever travel to spin the motor then the only advice I can offer is to make sure the kick lever is properly adjusted on the spline. You should have engagement of the kick mechanism after about an inch of lever travel once the piston has been brought to top dead center.

If the lever travel is more than an inch you may want to try moving it one spline to the left. After doing this its a good idea to check for to early engagement by listening for a high speed clicking sound after starting the engine. If you hear such a sound shut it down immediately and move the lever back one spline to the right.
  4. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    The attached picture from Husky Newsletter #33 shows both the 72 thru 76 and 77-78 levers. The note suggests that riders would bend their early levers to match the later 'dog-leg' style.

The later lever fits the earlier splined shaft, but may dig into the clutch cover a bit.

Kickstart Lever - Copy.png
  5. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The lever pictured on the right was common on a couple 76 models and most 77 models, may be even later. I do know its to long for use on the pre 75 bikes as it hits the exhaust pipe. Never tried bending the stock one picture on the left. It would have be heated to the point of being like butter and cooled properly to make sure it didn't become brittle. Keep in mind that when being used there would be a lot of stress at the bend.

If you bend a stock lever let me know how it works on the 74 400.
    markt2 likes this.
  6. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    My new 1976 250CR came with the type on the right... brochure photos from 1976 show that "dog leg" style with the "traditional" side pipe.

The problem with the type on the right, at least on the Mag engines, is that it hits the shifter at full down stroke and quickly damages the bushing/seal and possibly cover... back in late 1977 Malcolm Smith's got me a 1978 "swing out" type which works great and stopped the shifter leak issue... can be hard to find these days but it's what I use. DSCN2126.JPG

The 1978 "swing out" type is great but might not clear the older style traditional side pipe? (My 250CR's are late 76 with the Ohlin-designed "snake pipe")

DSCN2124.JPG
  7. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    To clarify... the later "dog leg" type cleared the side pipe on the GP-framed models... I was not disputing that it doesn't fit the earlier bikes without hitting the pipe. :cheers:
  8. Jeff B Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975wr 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha ty 175,
    I have a friend who is 6' 3" 245 pounds. He is a much better kicker. I can't believe no one has said this one!
  9. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I wasn't aware this style kick lever would fit the spline shaft on the pre 75 engines. To bad the exhaust pipe clearance on the per 75 Huskys is an issue. Also looks like the spline clamp would be a close fit and the pivot knuckle may hit the older per 75 side case when fully rotated.

[IMG]

14.jpg
  10. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    It is an unfortunate fact that the Husky kick start position and operation are s##t, and despite several different case styles they never got round to developing a decent kicker. Your best bet for easy starting is a good ignition, good carburation and practice, practice, practice, oh and maybe a crate or something to stand on!
    DeathFromAbove and Bill502 like this.
  11. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    Another option is to shorten the 'dog-leg' kicker to clear the stock pipe:

HVA KS S - Copy.jpg
    markt2 likes this.
  12. Jeff B Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975wr 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha ty 175,
    I have a 75 wr 250. Starting was a pain until I put a more modern pipe on. I know it is more money but...if your pipe is very good...save it. The more modern pipe makes kicker easier to get a foot on. Also a big plus is the bike runs much better. The new pipe is lighter, and my perfect stock exhaust is in a safe place in my shop. I can get my foot on the kicker now.