1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

73/74 Triple Clamp bearings

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Gord, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have two sets of triple clamps for my 73 250. One set has the ball bearings in a cage and one set has the cups and loose ball bearings. Looks like it takes 1/4" balls.
    I would like to use the set with the loose balls, but my head stock is set up for the smaller caged bearings.
    Any chance someone here has the cups that go in the head stock for the larger balls? I'd like to pop out the cups that are in there and replace them with the larger ball bearing cups.
    Or, maybe someone can reference a supplier who might have them.
    Thanks
  2. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    The smaller caged bearings I believe are 4mm and can be replaced with the same sizeball. You should be able to buy the 4mm balls from EB Atmus or even a bicycle shop, Use them loose as they are the only part of a bearing assembly that touches the cones
  3. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

I can get the loose bearings at NAPA. The issue I'm having is the bearing cups/cones in the headstock now are designed for the small caged bearings, and don't match up to the larger cups with the 1/4" bearings that I want to use with the extra triple tree I have. The triple tree I want to use only came with the larger cups on the stem of the triple tree that use 1/4" ball bearings.
  4. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    You need 6mm balls for that. You can get those at NAPA as well. The cages are rarely used as the cups and caps only contact the balls anyway.
  5. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

I guess I'm not explaining this right.
    I'm not having trouble finding the ball bearings. What I'm having trouble finding are the cups that get pressed in to the headstock that will match the cups I have on the stem of the triple tree. You can't have a cup that is designed for 1/4" balls on the triple tree stem, but have cups that are designed for the 4mm balls, pressed in to the headstock, regardless of whether or not you use the cage, or leave them loose. They have to be a matched set.
  6. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Is it a stock Husqvarna cap set or a custom like from Vintage Husky? Stock Husqvana uses only metric bearing and only a US manufacturer or backyard machinist make bearing cups in SAE.
  7. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    Husky used different size ball bearings (and the races to match) in the steering head... slowly increasing the size... before they went to tapered rollers. I know they had at least two sizes... My 1976 has larger ball bearings than the earlier models.

I would contact someone like John at Vintage Husky or your favorite parts guy and see if they can help you out. I've always found John to be helpful with finding solutions and he often has new or used parts available to make things work.
  8. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    The bearings and lower bearing shell for the triple tree were the same from 1968 thru 75.

Bearing - 29 40 405-01
    Lower Bearing Shell (race) - 12 10 745-01

In 1975 a larger diameter shell was used (identified by the taper around the edge):

Bearing - 15 12 263-01
    Lower bearing Shell (race) - 15 12 223-01

In 1978 (ish) tapered roller bearings were introduced.

LBS Early - Copy.jpg LBS Late - Copy.jpg
    markt2 likes this.
  9. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks folks.