1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

73 250cr countershaft

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by dieseldigger, May 18, 2020.

1. dieseldigger Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 420 auto, wr250, 400, 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    lots
    Just found myself a 73 250cr in reasonably good shape but was missing the front spocket. Beginning to realize that these tapered sprockets are in very short supply and a pain to remove once on. I'm splitting the cases for seals and bearing and crank/rod inspection anyways and figured I would install a splined countershaft while I was at it.
    Could anyone tell me which bikes had the splined countershaft that would fit?
    Will a 5 speed and 6 speed interchange?
    What is the part number on the shaft itself?
    Thank you, your help is much appreciated. Brad
  2. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    Part Number is 16 12 473 01 and the shaft is stamped with the number 473:

5 Spd - Copy.JPG
    Steve-F likes this.
  3. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    The 5 and 6 speed shaft will not interchange. Your options besides Vinskord option would be to convert to a 74 wr 6 speed. It has the spline output shaft. Or, find and purchase a factory sprocket puller. As long as the shaft isn't mauled or the nut over torqued the sprocket will come off with a factory puller, otherwise get out the oxy/acetylene torch.
  4. dieseldigger Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    lots
    Thanks, guys. I was under the impression that a 470 shaft would work. I also thought the 74 WR had a tapered shaft as well. Looks like 473s are even harder to find than the tapered sprockets!
  5. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yesterday I private messaged a link to you where you can buy a 473.
  6. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    Years ago John at Vintage Husky had a huge box of the shafts to convert taper to spline. That may have changed now. I think he also said you can put a complete 6 speed in the 5 speed case? I just used the shaft.
    Steve-F likes this.
  7. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thats true although two mods are required. One, grind a gusset thats next to the lower rear shifting fork so the fork will clear it. Two, grind a divot in the bottom of the left center case located under the shifting drum's step-feeder gear so it'll clear the case.

And to make it trick use a shifting drum and ratchet arm from a 75 or later mag. The ratchet arm gets rid of the shifting drum's detent spring and pin greatly reducing the chance of a gear only partially engaging.
    Steve-F and markt2 like this.
  8. dieseldigger Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    lots
    Thanks, everybody. And thanks Crashoholic for the pm. Got a 473 shaft on the way.