1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

72 Enduro 360 rebuild help

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by danlboon76, Mar 24, 2014.

1. danlboon76 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1971 Enduro 360C
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    New to the site but hope someone can help me out. I am currently getting ready for a rebuild and I'm having some issues getting a consistent part number for a rod kit. Bike was built November 71 so I assume it's a 72 model, vin SI2587. Right hand shift engine #363020, cylinder 1610564. Piston is standard size 78.67 so can can confirm its a 360. The bike has been in my family since 75, has not been torn apart that anyone is aware of, and has basically been in storage out of the elements for the last 20 years. Last time it ran was around 1988. I have been given three separate part numbers for the kit, 1610983-01, 16100642-01, 1619902-01. Who's right? Thanks for any help or leads getting this worked out.:confused:
  2. woodsman09 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1971 Husqvarna 360C
    I picked up a 1971 recently and am in the same process of rebuilding the motor and repainting the frame, I looked around for parts and the differences in years and the information I found is that the 1971 was the last year for the right hand shift and therefore they are not 1972's. I am a novice with Husqvarna's and don't know one way or the other about the rod part numbers, I would however use a telescoping gauge and micrometer to check your inside diameters and confirm those dimensions with whomever you by your parts from.
  3. danlboon76 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1971 Enduro 360C
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Congrats on getting the new bike. Have you had much luck finding a rod kit at all? I sourced one from a company over in the UK, lot of money to spend on shipping for the wrong part though. I read a document somewhere on Huskyclub that said the 360 was carried over into 72 with the right hand shift, it was supposedly the only model to do so as everything was left hand shift that year. Supposedly numbers 0-1500 were 71's and 1500+ were 72's. I think thats where the confusion started with the kit numbers. I also picked up somewhere that 72 was the first year for color variations. Not sure how true that is but I do know I have a maroon tank, I assume yours is red?
  4. woodsman09 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1971 Husqvarna 360C
    I have the original decal on the frame where the triple trees attach, it says June 1971. The rod, from my research is made of a chrome molly steel, I may chance it and use the old rod but I will first check to make sure it is still square using a surface plate and indicator. My tank was repainted red a long time ago, they used a razor knife to cut around masking tape for the decal and cut into the aluminum. I am in the process of using 180 grit paper to sand it out, slow going... I did not see the info about the model year carrying over to 72'. I had to drill my piston out, it would not budge even after weeks of soaking in a quality spray, I think it was run on straight gasoline, one crank bearing was fried and the large connecting rod bearing was frozen.
  5. danlboon76 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1971 Enduro 360C
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    That doesn't sound like fun at all. Fortunately my motor was tore down in the early 90's so giving that nothing is missing should be easy rebuild. Less than 1800 miles on bike and has always been stored inside. Any idea where to find headlight and tail light assemblies? All wiring is intact as well as battery switch and headlight bracket. Uncle took them off when he purchased the bike back in 70's for who knows what reason.
  6. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    he took them off so they would be nice, new and shiny for you to rebuild it 40 years later:D the trick is finding the box with those bits in it....
  7. danlboon76 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1971 Enduro 360C
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Ha. Wouldn't that be awesome