1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

7000 Lumin Cyclops LED H4 in TE310 / TE511

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by River-Runner, Dec 1, 2017.

1. River-Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511, 2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM690 Enduro
    Anyone had experience with the 7000 lumin Cyclops H4 LED bulb in a 2012 TE310 or 2012 TE511? This is the bulb with a fan.

Safe to use long term in plastic housing?

How is the aiming and cutoff in the stock housing?

Thanks
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    I'm not familiar with the h4 you're talking about. However I'm kinda familiar with 'em in general.

Chinese bulb right? well, you'll be lucky if it's even 3000Lm (and that's still pretty bright). If it has a fan in the rear of the bulb, it will probably NOT fit in your headlight housing, 'cause it'll hit the wiring or even the neck. The chinese are getting better with focus and power with their LED H4s. Their wattage ratings are w-a-a-a-a-y over the top- even if they're referring to "equivalency" brightness (sometimes off by a factor of 4). You used to be able to get either high or low color temperature LED h4s, but it seems in the last year or two they've thrown in the towel and gone with the 6500° K fanboi stuff. Which looks like HID, but it's hard on everybody's eyes.

I have been waiting years for a good, focused H4 LED with a medium or low color temp (3000-3500°K). Came close this year- but still not there. Reasonable focus, actual wattage 14w measured (30w claimed), color temp (probably) 6000°, copper braid heat dissipation, ...it's a good replacement for a 35w halogen h4- but not totally superior. It throws about the same, maybe a scosh more light, than the incandescent. A pair of 'em was $23.

good luck.

H4 LED.jpg
  3. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    oh chit- I didn't it realize we had sorta already "talked" about this a month or two ago in another thread. well, maybe somebody with direct experience will chime in. Even though my memory sux, I gotta admit- I'm consistent.

good luck.
  4. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I went and looked at the Cyclops... I like what they're saying.

It might be worth doing a test fit to see if you have room: take a 1-1/2" thick 2" diameter piece of styrofoam and put it on the back of your current h4 (unplugged- just use the terminals to hold the foam). Now, reassemble the housing and see if you can get it back into place. If so, take a look at the foam and see where you have to move wiring harness or whatever. That'll tell you if you have a chance.

I like cyclops talking about the chinese habit of giving wattage ratings for pairs of bulbs (and they'll exaggerate those even). The mention of lowering color temp down to 5000° is a step in the right direction, but still too blue IMNSHO. The 20watt rating on low beam/40watt on high (for the 3800 lumen, 25/50 for the 7000Lm) sounds semi-reasonable and also indicates they're leaving the low beam LEDs on during high beam operation (perhaps)- which is not a bad thing.

BTW, I'd say 40watts sustained is about what the headlight lens and housing can take before getting soft. Short periods of hi beams (50w) might be doable if you're moving.

kinda spendy tho. if they have a good return policy on those kind of electronics, AND you came close on the fitment issue, it might be worth the gamble.

OTOH, (this is still the wife's bike right?) there are plenty of cheap after-market LED spot lights nowadays; buy a good aluminum body 15-30watt light, mount it up (ZTR's reservoir cover?) and wire it into the high beam circuit. Should be good for freeway speeds in the eastern oregon desert, for example; not so good in the north carolina woods.
  5. River-Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511, 2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM690 Enduro
    Her bulb is dead in the 310 and I had thought about upgrading while replacing, but I've been able to do more research and there are no really good upgrade solutions within the stock enclosure. Next year might be a different story with LED improvements.

We upgraded the 690's with Motominded / Baja Designs plug and play upgrades. We have got some great lights there, very satisfied and can justify the cost due to more dual sport riding. Not worth the same cost on the Husky trail bikes, we just don't ride in the dark enough.

TC - Thanks for the feedback.

BTW - Some of the new street LED driving lights are friggin' amazing. A friend showed me some $800 a pair driving lights he put on his BMW RT - simply amazing. He had hit a deer a couple years ago and really messed himself up - so he can justify the cost. His new lights really reach out a long way.
    motominded and Trenchcoat85 like this.
  6. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    here's a $2.45 run-of-the-mill 35W H4 halogen incandescent if you're having a problem sourcing 'em:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-35W...ash=item58cdc6674f:g:X50AAOSwEz5Z5Qar&vxp=mtr

...or pay 2 bucks more and get a genuine Phillips on ebay. (Motorcycle shop $15-20)

you can actually get cheaper incandescent 35w H4's on ebay too... but they have the un-hooded low beam element out the focal point so it'd be pretty bad for on-coming drivers or in the city. These are the faux-HIDs that are all over the internet, with prices as low as $0.80

Good for about 300hrs- generally

Those Beemer lights- are those the Laser diode things? I've heard about 'em.
  7. River-Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511, 2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM690 Enduro
    The brand my friend has is Clearwater. He kept the BMW LED driving lights plus the Clearwater units.
  8. Riding Again Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sold TriumphTiger800xcx, TR650 Terra
    I have used cyclops and adv led lights. Both are amazing compared to the original bulbs. I had over 16k miles on my TR650 Terra with the cyclops led. I just sold my Triumph tiger 800xcx and picked up a TE511 and was researching the forum when I came across this post. Thanks for reminding me I have to buy a cyclops led now. lol

Edit: Let us know if you use the 7000 High output version or the 3800 version. Both will be an improvement but the 7k lumen will be hotter. I may take a chance on the 7k shortly If I do not find the answer. Although I would call cyclops first and ask a tech support opinion first. They seemed to know what they were talking about last I spoke to one. Could have been a good day and caught the experienced person answering the phones too.
  9. 310 newb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    cbr900rr
    You wouldnt believe it, but great minds. I ordered ( and just received) a pair pretty much exactly the same as those, simply because they looked most likely to fit with the braided heat sink. Was going to clamp the current meter on for a before and after and everything.
    I have three other vehicles that have H4 led bulbs now with varying success. Fairly expensive ones in the ute and the other bike, and cheap chinese ones in the sports car. The cheap chinese ones are WAY better. Brighter, better focus. Cleaner aim both high and low beam. Sadlythat particular type is no longer available anywhere as far as i can tell. It is a minefield for led replacement bulb. Luck of the draw for the most part. Best you can do is get one that looks like it is most closely trying to emulate the shape of the halogen bulb filament and look for a decent heatsink and hope for the best Main thing i was going for in the bikes and the sportscar were lower current draw, and less heat behind the polycarbonate in the bikes.
  10. Riding Again Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sold TriumphTiger800xcx, TR650 Terra
    The cyclops light is the one you want to use if you can use it. I was able to use them on my Tr650 and my wifes truck. They have waterproof fans to cool the heat sinks off. The fans are powerful and loud. The ADV has the normal wire mesh. I used this one on my Tiger 800 xcx and it was enclosed in the weatherproof enclosure. I was worried it would cause too much heat but it never did. Both led light replacements give great light and not too distorted. They all will be a little distorted though.
  11. 310 newb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    cbr900rr
    ^ i looked up the cyclops, $100 for one bulb, looks the same as the plethora of othe chinese offerrings that are 1/4 the price. does it fit ok with the bulky fan?
    Meanwhile i got as ffar as dummy fitting the one i got before i broke my hand thursday night, rendering me unable to work on bike or ride or anything else for six weeks.
    Its a very tight fit, the heat sink braids are tight up against the cables and wiring and the clutch line is displaced. I dont like it. I dont know how much heat this one generates but it will still abrade all the wires and stuff. Also, the lead comes out the side and interferes with the seal on the rubber cap.
    Havnt started the bike up yet to check brightness or anything as the chain was half on while waiting for parts also, but i wont be using this bulb.
    Might just get a super cheap crapper that has no heatsink or ballast, just to cut down on current draw and keep up appearances for the powers that be. Its jut a trail bike with recreational registration . (dirt roads only) h4 led 003.jpg h4 led 004.jpg
  12. 310 newb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    cbr900rr
    So anyways, i managed to get it all back togethe only using my left hand and tested it out,, beam is nothing special, in fact looks like hi and low are reversed but not sure, the heatsink and stiff braids are rubbing on everything, whilst being nowhere anywhere near being in moving airflow. was hovering over the button on a $5 smd type bulb just to give the "appearance" of having a "headlight" but like the online whore that I am ended up pressing the button on this -> https://www.philips.com.au/c-p/11342UEX2/ultinon-essential-led-car-headlight-bulb for pretty cheap (about $100 aud from honk kong, about 5 week eta)
    much more compact, braids are much longer ( they fold out double)and i hope softer, control box has an array of effective looking cooling fins and enough lead to mount it out of the way, and overall should be a good bit of kit. If no good on the bike they will have a happy home in any one of my other vehicles.
  13. 310 newb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    cbr900rr
    ok so these Philips bulbs came waaay quicker than i thought they would.
    These are the ones to get. The rubber boot fits back on perfectly, the braided heat sinks fold out easily in such a way as to not interfere with any wiring, cables or hydraulic lines, the control box is curved and fits snuggly against the fork. The beams both high and low are perfectly clean. As far as brightness goes i have not tested at night and wont be doing so any time soon, but compared to my other car and bike with othe h4 led they look very promising the way they light up the back of the garage. I did have bright afternoon sun coming into the garage from directly behind the bike at time of photos. philips h4 led 001.jpg philips h4 led 002.jpg philips h4 led 003.jpg philips h4 led 004.jpg
    Huskynoobee likes this.
  14. 310 newb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    cbr900rr
    ^ so 1st pic is low beam, 2nd pic high beam.
    I had the bike running for about 15 - 20 minutes and the control box warmed up first, the braids took a while longer. by the end both were maybe- 25c on a 15c day. I'm pretty happy with it. I guess the other one is for sale if anyone around Melbourne is interested lol.

Attached Files:

15. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    braid: twist them a bit so you expose more surface area to the air.
  16. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have similar patterns in my LED bulb, but I think your low beam is even flatter/tighter than mine (low beam shape is the most important factor of a bulb/lens) which is a good thing.

I think you're gonna be a little disappointed in the brightness of either beam however. I'd guess it'd be just a hair bit brighter than the stock 35w incandescent; definitely whiter though (not a positive feature IMO)

My bulb had a LED on low beam go out just recently (i'd estimate about 40-50hours of runtime). The high beam was fine, and the other low beam LEDs still worked so I barely noticed. I replaced the bulb with the other LED bulb I received. I'm gonna take the bad one apart to see if it's anything fixable (like a bad wire or trace). Not super happy but for $23/pair wth.

I never did take a photo of the beam patterns; maybe I'll post one up.
  17. 310 newb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    cbr900rr
    I did the same test with the same piece of cardboard about the same distance on my Nissan ute (different brand H4 led bulbs) the other day - the pattern was a dog's breakfast, which translates to how it looks on the road too; although there is plenty of light, a lot of it goes high, left, right you name it. On-coming traffic must hate me although no-one seems to flash me :excuseme:
    As to brightness, I reckon these Philips bulbs are as bright or brighter than all the H4 leds in my other 3 vehicles, and they are all as bright or brighter than the best 55w/60w halogens afaic. I might at least roll the CBR and the 310 out side by side and shoot them against the fence to see what's up next time I get a chance.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  18. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    14Watt LED H4 lo & hi patterns (bike not moved but not quite normal to the wall; about 6' away)

lo beam

20180729_212422 lo beam.jpg

hi beam
    20180729_212440 hi beam.jpg
  19. Rob09 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    Still want to move the leftover one mate?
  20. 310 newb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    cbr900rr
    Haha you wouldnt believe it but this is the first time i have logged in for months and actually only just remembered i was a member here, alas the Husky just sits on her pedestal all polished up and not getting ridden since i broke my hand last year and missed out on the rest of the season and been on the road bike all summer instead.
    So, no sorry, I ended up using the other bulb on the new member to the stable, a Trx850. They are good bulbs though, i've tried out a few on various cars and bikes and these ones are probably the best, and actually fit on the TE so yeah i recommend them.