650 Terra, let's get buyers count

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Mike_B, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Stuart T Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMWR1150GSa
    Greetings all
    Another from Australia converted to the TR. I've had mine a few weeks now, just dropped it off today for its 1000k service, will get the heated grips (ouch, expensive suckers) and handguards fitted as well. I've already fitted a set of pannier frames for soft panniers to it. The givi top box rack has come across from the last bike, but it only accentuates the flexibility of the TR luggage rack so we'll see how that goes into the future. It's got a B&B bashplate fitted too, so I'm getting things sorted to what I want. I'm still tweaking the riding position and have pushed the bars forward a long way to make them a bit higher. On my first ride out, standing on the dirt felt like a bit of a racing crouch, not good for a long day on the road.
    Chuffa, HuskyDude and nev.. like this.
  2. Allen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda NH750
    Just put my down payment on a terra! Super excited but I will have to wait until July to pick it up in Colorado. Now I just have to try and keep my sanity until I get there!
    RidingDonkeys, Next, nev.. and 2 others like this.
  3. REDOTIS650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 KTM EXC 200 2004 SUZUKI DRZ S
    Picked up mine at EURUSPORT in Ashville NC. two weeks ago I ride old man aggressive I have 700 miles on it and have all ready broke my rear license plate holder / fender but I still love the bike smooth power and fun to ride.
    HuskyDude and Luge like this.
  4. joebtx Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    I bought mine Monday. Got 21 miles on it. Mounted a top box I already had. I'm more of an adventure rider, like to go to Colorado and rid the jeep roads and just see the scenery.
    HuskyDude, HARDER1 and nev.. like this.
  5. CrazyAl Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013xTR 650 Terra 1200 miles
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 Honda xr200r , 1993 dr350
    Well I just bought my first new bike ever at age 42 . :banana: Had to buy 2 dirt bikes first to get my girl friend in to riding in-order to get her blessings . I paid $5999.00 and got $500.00 free in accessories. I Will be picking it up later this week. Been watching the prices keep dropping worried they still might go lower. Wanted to buy the te511 since it was $2500.00 off instead of only $1000.00 but no seat for my girl friend to ride and the seat looked very uncomfortable.
    HuskyDude and nev.. like this.
  6. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    Congrats Crazy Al. Today is the 21st anniversary of the day I bought my first ever brand new bike ! 24 April 1992.
  7. CrazyAl Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Wow you've got a great memory !! Maybe if I relate the date to something else if can remember the date I bought my first bike.... April 20 2013... :doh: I got 4:20 2013 can't for get that date. I told my dealer that on Cafehusky other people got tool kits now the dealer is going to get me one also. Thank you every body for your posts.
  8. vntgmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Count me in. Just took my maiden voyage yesterday a mix of road and sandy roads and jeep trails. So far so good. Runs super smooth and handles both street and offroad just about right. It's the perfect mixed surface all dayer is my quick first impression!
    HuskyDude and Coffee like this.
  9. kswaid Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250R, Street Triple
    Just bought my Terra on 4/24/13 from Chaplin Kawasaki in Chaplin, CT. The only problem I have is that no tool kit was included and I forgot to check until I got home. The technician did throw a new ECU map in it for me, so no stalling issues here. In fact, I love how it will pull away from a stop with zero throttle input. The bike will be used for adventure touring in New England with as much dirt as I can find, so I am waiting impatiently for my skid plate and hand guards to arrive in the mail.
    HuskyDude likes this.
  10. tweber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Zippo
    Got the terra 3/18/13. In Florida....I am kitesurfing here... moving west again ...11 years ago was last bike. Damn time flys. I have 800 miles on it and its been to dealer to get mossed. Runs great.For 400lbs it handles nice. Great adv dualsport. ADV riding Utah Idaho and Montana back to Utah to paraglide then Baja in oct...should be a great sum/fall
    This forum is great...first post
    Next and HuskyDude like this.
  11. CrazyAl Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The dealer got my tool kit for me today in Mass. and an owners manual paper copy and flash card also.
  12. Allen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda NH750
    Getting it Mossed and the ECU flashed are the same things?
  13. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    Yup. The Moss is the computer used to flash the ECU.
    HuskyDude likes this.
  14. blueghost75 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Took delivery of my TR650 Terra yesterday. Purchased from Grand Prix Motorsports. Had a great experience with them, and they did the MOSS flash before delivery. It stalled several times on the demo ride and now it runs like a champ. The tech seemed to know what was going on, but that's probably because they had just done blakebird's bike a day or two earlier.

Now, it's supposed to be 72 and sunny today. Time to put some miles on it! :)
    nev.. and HuskyDude like this.
  15. Allen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda NH750
    Awesome!

I bought my bike from them but have not picked it up yet. I have to wait until July :banghead: Good to hear the tech is good and service too. I'll fly in July and do a day ride to Rifle and then take a Bicycle frame building course for two weeks. I am a little worried about shipping all my stuff to Grand Prix in advance...
  16. Rick Rides Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Wife's 250 Kaw
    First Post to anything.
    Picked my Terra up on the 13th of April (yikes) at Honda of Salt Lake, UT. Under 1 mile on the OD so I knew I was the first on the bike, which I like. The salesman said take it around the parking lot to see if it runs, which I did and almost slipped and fell with out my helmet on. Dumb on my part, the tires were still shinny and I was just out of sorts excited about the whole thing. The salesman suggested to go to a big parking lot to get to know how to ride. I did not appreciate that. Riding 35 yrs on many KTMs, BMW RT, Hondas, Yams etc. Raced desert and so on. He did not know.
    First impressions were GREAT BIKE. I was replacing my 08 KLR and just wanted an improved KLR. I got it! I also was fortunate to receive the $5,990.00 MSRP so I was so happy on that ride home.
    The fuel lite came on at 8 miles into the ride, I understood it was full... not, I turned around for my first fill up. The torque was amazing and the smoothness of the engine impressive.
    It has been cold, so running around the Park City area has been light, did make it down to Moab for a great three days of riding. Onion Creek, Hurrah Pass and Arches. All was well with the bike, wishing the skid plate and crash bars were delivered prior to my trip, but made it without a problem.
    The bike on road it great with the gearing so high, the gearing is slightly high and wide on off-road small trail work. A blast on dirt, feels like a dirt bike maybe because of low weight and narrow width. LOVE IT!
    Did my first oil change with 400 miles and made a mess. I will do better next time and use some of the suggestions in this site for help.
    This weekend I ran into a problem, maybe someone can help. I am overheating. Reservoir is over flowing squirting out the cap, radiator seems not real hot. Rolling normally it runs on the hot side but if I'm at a stop light it shoots up to where the warning light comes on, not normal. It seems that the fluid is not circulating. Fan works. My likely clueless shop, which is closed on Mondays will say bring it down which is a hassle for me. I would rather fix it myself. Any suggestions out there?
    Love the bike, it is the right thing under my butt. Love this site also, great entertainment and a tool for me. Thanks for being here.
    Chuffa and HuskyDude like this.
  17. Allen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda NH750
    Out of the workshop manual - just a place to start. I wonder how you test the thermostatic valve...

Attached Files:

18. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    Or just make sure the lines are clear of any air. That has gotten a few owners.
  19. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    I had a similar issue. The symptom was the bike overheating. Temp gauge maxing out and warning light flashing and the fan coming on. Fan was blowing cold air because there was no water circulating through the radiator. The radiator was hot on the hose side and cold on the other side. Issue was the coolant level was below the thermostat (I presume that's what they call the thermostatic valve). Topped up the coolant to the top of the radiator and the issue went away and never returned. This seems to be a pretty common occurrance on new Terras.
  20. Rick Rides Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Wife's 250 Kaw
    Thanks to all for your ideas. It worked.

I took the radiator cap off and filled a small amount to the radiator... it burped... little more... couple more bubbles. Ran the engine and saw circulation and a bubble or two. Replaced cap, turned off the engine and put the bike on the floor on right side for a minute and back up. Ran the engine for a few minutes and watched the temp gauge go up to normal for a bit then raise a couple of bars and the fan came on then, happily, the fan turned off and temp went down to normal again. Done!

Thank you.
    nev.., Coffee and HARDER1 like this.