630 TCI windshield

Discussion in '610/630' started by rickcj7, Oct 16, 2013.

1. rickcj7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Does the TCI windshield push the air above your helmet without buffeting? I'm 5'-10"

I'm trying to get a tall windshield to block the cold air and not bounce my head around.
  2. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    The TCI plastic blocks a lot of wind. I did not leave it on the bike long because IMO it looked too big and I wasn't using the TE for hi speed road work. I don't recall any buffeting though (I'm 5'8"). I took their plastic off and made my own version about 4" shorter. It gave me buffeting so I cut it down even more, this gave me clean air hitting the helmet but still kept the wind pressure off my chest. I had to remove the windshield altogether when I got the Safari tank and I do miss it.

TCI screen

[IMG]

My final screen

[IMG]
  3. johngil Husqvarna
    A Class

I've been very happy w/ the height of my screen. I'm right around 5'10" as well. Bought the frame from TC and cut the Lexan myself.
    Plenty of calm air, but also doesn't interfere off road.

[IMG]
  4. rickcj7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I have a small KTM windshield for the hot days that works nice, about the same height as the ones you have cut down. I also tried a Spitfire but its not very adjustable and with it the whole way up it I have bad buffeting, but duck down a couple inches and its smooth and quiet. The wind hits the top of my helmet sitting up.
    Do you think the TCI will throw the the air up or not?
  5. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Yes. But I think the stock TCI one is too tall.
  6. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Where are you located Rick?

7. TE 450 Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

I find the adjustability of the lynx works best.

[IMG]
  8. rickcj7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Altoona PA
  9. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    My windshield evolution continues. I had to remove the TCI because the brackets hit the Safari tank and limit lock to lock (stock is bad enough). Considered the ktm 690 screens but thought I'd try this instead.

I traced the top of the headlight shroud and played with cardboard until I was happy. Cut it out of lexan and heated it down the center w/ heatgun to bend it in a V that matches the shroud. Sanded the edges, put a good layer of 3M VHB on the back of the shroud and stuck it on.

[IMG]

First prototype. I added 3/4 inch to the bottom to make the second one taller.

[IMG]

Final result

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

A couple details
    1. You have to leave a gap from the bottom of the lexan to the top of the headlight opening to clear the headlight bucket
    2. The plastic spacer (standoff) stuck to the lexan aligns with the plastic "bump" under/in front of the gauge cluster. This prevents any rearward movement of the windshield/headlight shroud. In fact, if you try to push the windshield backwards, it is rock-solid.
    3. If you didn't want it to be permanent, you could probably mount with velcro.

[IMG]

Took it for a run last week and I'm happy with the results. It blocks the wind enough that cruising at 65-70 is comfortable.

Rotax_655 and Muddy Waters like this.
  10. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    Great job! Looks very nice, design flows perfect without distracting any from the bikes looks. I've never been a fan of windshields but this one would work for me.

Question though, how much protection does it give you? Blocks the wind off your torso only or more than that?
  11. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just your torso, helmet is still in full air flow (much like riding a sport bike). I'm a smaller person (140lbs), so you might want to experiment with a different (larger?) shape. Dirt cheap to experiment and you haven't drilled holes in anything.

My goal was reduce the wind pressure on my chest and make something that could pass for stock by following the lines of the shroud.

12. rickcj7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Here's my latest attempt, I really like the look of the KTM 690 windscreen the way it fits and matches the headlight. I ran across a Madstad Robobracket and gave it a try, looks good and I'll know if it does better in a couple weeks when we head down to Tellico Plains.
    The KTM screen works great to get most of the air off your chest, it would still get tiring after a few hundred miles. I tried the big Spitfire windshield but it didn't have enough adjustment and I got a lot of buffeting. Hopefully this will work with about 3" of up and down adjustment and from 90-75 degree of vertical adjustment.

[IMG]
    up
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  13. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Shorter is better. I'm back running my original HD polycarb homemade shorty screen as well.
  14. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Some nice work there guys.