630 Suspension Setup - Faster Riding & With Luggage

Discussion in '610/630' started by SimpleOne, Mar 5, 2021.

1. SimpleOne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 ZX-6R Trackbike
    Hi Guys,

I'm attempting to sort out the suspension on my TE630, as it's bit like riding a boat and just blows through the travel when jumping or any unexpected bigger hits (washouts etc) during any sort of spirited riding.....
    I asked this on Advrider 630 thread, but here might more specific for the 630 (and I've updated the numbers a little).

Background:
    My riding is typically on the faster end of the spectrum, like hitting jumps even if the bike isn't terribly suited to it....guilty pleasures ;)
    Rider weight is 95kg (210lb) without gear, height 6'3", age 34.
    Backpack ~12kg (26lb)
    Luggage (when on) is ~20-30kg (~55lb)
    25L Safari tank on the front (+ 2 x 12L bladders on occasion, but I accept this will be an odd overloading situation). So ~25lb additional fuel weight over the factory tank.

Planning a decent mostly off-road trip across Australia (~7500km), mostly rocky desert and some whooped out sand. Also gets used in the alpine high country, just typical off-road mountain tracks really.

RaceTech calculator is coming up with:
    Fork: 0.52 - 0.54 kg/mm.
    Rear Shock: 5.45 - 5.50 kg/mm.
    Not sure what's even on the bike at present, but I think OEM standard was 0.51 kg/mm in the forks and 6.4 kg/mm on the rear?

Given that the Racetech calculator doesn't do any accounting for luggage or backpacks etc, I added and an extra 20kg onto rider weight to get a ball park number that accounts for a backpack and some proportion of the luggage weight. That yields:
    Forks: 0.56 - 0.58 kg/mm.
    Shock: 5.83 - 5.9 kg/mm.
    Forks have the adjustable compression damping from the TE610, but front and rear are otherwise stock.

What sort of spring rates and clicker settings have people been running with when loaded vs unloaded (and at what rider weight)?

What front/rear free sag and static/race sag have you liked?

Getting hard to find anyone over here in Australia that knows anything about these bikes to help with suspension setup...

Cheers!
  2. willie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    You are right on the OEM springs but there is a measurement chart in the Shiver manual to id fork spring rates. The 6.4 rear is really stiff and I believe was sized for the occasional passenger. I weigh 190lb and ended up with 0.480kg/mm front and i believe 5.3 for the rear. Used 2.5 wt fork oil with the adjustable compression dampers. Static sag is 36mm and loaded sag is 95mm. I am an old geezer and like a softer ride so these suspension settings are ideal for me.