630 gear sensor

Discussion in '610/630' started by Ketek, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

While reading through the workshop manual of the 630, I came across a section mentioning the gear position sensor and the different resistances it provides in each gear.

Now I remember reading about a gear sensor mod for the 690 KTMs and wonder if the ECU might limit power in some of the lower gears on the 630 as well?
  2. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    Sport bikes have been doing this forever. Never thought about why the 630 needed a gps. It probably does play a role in timing though.

Not sure I need any more power in the lower gears.

3. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
  4. Sizzler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600, SZR660, TLM260. DRZ250
    I thought it was the other way around, they tamed the power down in the lower gears, so ham-fisted riders wouldn't sue when they pooed themselves.

A simple experiment would be to interrupt the GPS line with a variable resistor, and see what happens.
  5. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    That's what we're saying also. :)

6. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Interesting! So what´s the outcome?
  7. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

I can't test what happens if you disconnect the sensor or just use a fixed resistance right now, since my bike won't be street legal until next week. So if nobody else trys it out until then, I'll report back.
  8. maxyb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, classica 105
    Other Motorcycles:
    CB350, CD90z
    Has anything come about from this?
    Really interested to hear what happens
  9. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

Haven't tried anything yet since there is still snow around here, so I can't ride :(
  10. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

Bike's finally ready again and the snow is gone. So I tried disconnecting the sensor. I'm not 100% sure, since I can only do tests wether the bike feels faster or not, but it seems to melike it pulls stronger in the higher revs without the sensor connected. A friend of mine drove the bike as well and felt the same.

Of course it would be better if someone could look at changes in the spark advance, timing etc, since I don't have the equipment for that.
  11. SimpleOne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 ZX-6R Trackbike
    Has anyone else looked at the values of the gear position sensor (the resistance) and compared it to the workshop manual?

I can't tell if I've completely lost the plot or not, but mine is producing the correct resistance values just not in the correct sequence for the gears that's indicated in the workshop manual.....Is it just me or does this workshop manual seem to have more than the odd error?