610 Water Pump Impeller Failures

Discussion in '610/630' started by MrBob, Feb 21, 2014.

1. MrBob Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400S
    So I've been getting ready to tackle some off-season maintenence on my TE before the riding season arrives. After doing some poking around the interweb I noticed some people talking about their 610's running hot and taking apart the pump housing to find the impeller spinning freely on the camshaft and the bolt missing.

My questions are, how many people have had this problem on their 610? Is it more common on the older models? Or is this something that needs to be checked by all 610 owners? And at what point do they seem to fail? Is the repair straight forward?(I ask this question because I hear if the threads strip, you need an new camshaft and other parts).

In my situation, my 08' 610 has 3500 miles. Although I haven't checked for the impeller failure yet, I did notice it ran really hot this past summer and the fan would kick on at almost every stop light I hit... much like Circus decribes in this thread. Or the thread I found on SMJ.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/610-owners-does-your-fan-turn-on.35867/#post-346714
    http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?115769-Husqvarna-SM-610-Coolant-Leaks

I dunno, I figured it may be useful for others to know this information....and maybe this information is already out there but I couldn't find the answers to the questions I asked above.
    Huskymicky818 likes this.
  2. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    No impeller issues on my '07 SM. I reckon proper tightening (and loctite) of the impeller nut is important though (only time I had it off was doing the cam chain).
    Kyle Tarry likes this.
  3. Huskymicky818 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04CRF450x2,01&03YZ250,87CR500x2
    So I don’t have a 610 but rather a 2011 SMS 630 and I’VE HAD THIS HAPPEN NOT ONLY ONCE, BUT WHEN I INSTALLED THE NEW IMPELLER AND NUT w/recommended Loctite.... IT CAME OFF THE FIRST RIDE So I’m hoping what you posted above helps me out!?