610 SM skid plate, info needed.

Discussion in '610/630' started by husky4cc, Sep 17, 2014.

1. husky4cc Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 610 SM
    Other Motorcycles:
    ZX 14, 999 s
    Hello Members:
    I am a newbie, just bought a 2008 SM 610 motard. I bought my bike over the weekend from a forum member. Love the bike and want to add a few things. Comtemplating adding a skidplate for added protection and looks, will this add much weight or effect the cooling of engine ? Mostly road riding and maybe 1% fire trails. Don't want to spend a lot on skidplate, any recommendations or if other Husky model plates would fit my bike ? Found a TE 610 skidplate but not sure if it will fit. Any input is much appreciated ! Thanks Charles
  2. husky4cc Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 610 SM
    Other Motorcycles:
    ZX 14, 999 s
    Came across Ricochet skid plates. Mike is awesome guy and makes very high quality skid plates for only $ 100, getting mine in anodized gold. Thanks
  3. Borgschulze Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Yamaha WR450
    SM and TE models are exactly the same, minus the wheels and headlight, and slightly different suspension setup.
  4. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    I love my Hyde Racing poly skid plate, it weighs nothing and doesn't reflect nearly as much noise as an aluminum plate, but will keep rocks off the engine and save the side cases in a slide. (I've tested this...) Same plate for the 610 and 630.

[IMG]
  5. Borgschulze Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Yamaha WR450
    Is it easy to install?

Mines a huge PITA.
  6. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    The Hyde? Once you get the rear crossbar in place, the hardest part is done. There's a little trick to it at just the right angle and it goes right in.
    I added some heat shrink to the ends of the crossbars to keep from tearing up the paint on the frame.
    The screws were a bit long for the one hole under the oil drain plug, so I shortened it a few threads, but other than that it's been a breeze.

Also, the shifter is different on the 630, so I needed to make a small notch for clearance to keep from hitting the plate when downshifting.
  7. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    +1 on the Hyde plate - though last time I tried to order one it never came and eventually the order was cancelled. Perhaps they have better stocking now.
  8. Whitfield Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 610 TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    KDX TTR TLR DRZ DR-S H-D/MX H-D/SX
    Another +1 on the Hyde racing skid. Light weight / good strength / very easy install. With stood all of the rocks I could chuck at it during the 2013 Husqvarna Shenandoah 500 event. (Ordered mine this time last year).

Unfortunately I had to learn the hard way, I ordered mine after riding Nekkid (with no skid plate) and busted a side cover on a stump.

[IMG]
  9. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS

Another nice thing about the Hyde is that it slips and slides off of stumps and rocks instead of grabbing like an aluminum plate sometimes can.
    Borgschulze likes this.
  10. Whitfield Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 610 TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    KDX TTR TLR DRZ DR-S H-D/MX H-D/SX
    Stump? We don't need no stinking stumps... ~ Riding it like a trials bike / log is almost the size of the wheel.

[IMG]
  11. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Lol I wouldn't even know how to do that!