610 petcock reserve

Discussion in '610/630' started by Flynn, May 6, 2016.

1. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Like most 610 owners have probably noticed, their petcock has two "off" positions instead of an off, on and reserve.

I assumed this was because there was no reserve build into the tank.

A quick read of this thread, however, suggests otherwise:

http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?43321-610-mod-database-(relevant-posts-only)/page4

Post #159, by user "Danke" says that just by replacing the petcock you can access a hidden reserve capability pre build into the tank.

If that is the case then why didn't Husqvarna fit a petcock with a reserve setting!?
  2. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    What year? I'm assuming it's got a fuel light? A lot of bikes ditched the reserve feature when they added the fuel light to the dash.
    I bet the "reserve" portion of the tank is still tapped to the petcock, it's just not segregated from the normal tank outlet.
    love likes this.
  3. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Yes it had a fuel light but had been long since disconnected. That makes some sense at least.
  4. madart Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sm610
    Mine has different solution. Right petcock has two inlets, for hose coming from left side of tank. And the left petcock is like screw type and can be open for reserve.
  5. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    630s are like that, but i don't think it was intended as a reserve
  6. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none

Mine has that too but I can't figure out how to open the left hand screw type petcock.
  7. madart Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sm610
    unscrew it :)
    It can be very tight
  8. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    So that is an actual reserve then? Gonna get the pipe wrench on it tomorrow and see. I have ran outta gas and seen gas in that left hand side, I figured it was just a bad tank design, little did I know that was supposed to be a reserve petcock! Coulda saved a lot of unnecessary bike pushing to the nearest gas station!
    love likes this.
  9. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Don't rip the thing out of the tank....
    You can always just lean the bike to the right to move the gas over
    love likes this.
  10. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Who said I was gonna rip it outta the tank!? I just unscrewed it. Oh yeah and unless there is a constant right hand bend, leaning the bike over to the next gas station is going to be somewhat awkward and hazardous;)
  11. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    You mentioned a pipe wrench for a fitting in a plastic tank, so I figured I would just give a word of caution.

And as for tipping the bike, not while you're riding, just when you get low on fuel you lean it to the right for a second while stopped and the fuel in the left side will spill over the center tube hump. Had to do it all the time on my old Hodaka after the left petcock fell apart.
    love likes this.
  12. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Ah I see what you mean, I didn't think of doing that! Good idea! Anyway the fitting was stiff with fingers but came undone easily with a wrench, thanks for the tip.
  13. love Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te 610 2006 and 2018 701 sm
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 690 enduro
    my petcock on my 2006 te610 has gone bad again. i mean its leaking fuel i heard somewhere that i should epoxy the wires coming out of the petcock as they leak over time. regardless, the petcock design is flawed somehow as i have gone thru two of them now. problem is that the right petcock is not made or available anymore. im not very smart why are their two petcocks on the bike ? couldnt i replace both of them with a universal petcock of some type and still get a reserve function. (universal petcocks wont have the low fuel light option which is convenient. but if i can run out of gas and get 15 miles more by turning a knob somewhere on one of the petcocks it would be acceptable. thanks for any suggestions. in conclusion my mechanic thinks he can fix my problem by rebuilding it if he can get correct o rings. im skeptical that is leak area. i think its the wires for low fuel light which are causing leaks
  14. xlink Husqvarna
    AA Class

I fixed mine in 2013 with JB Weld…just dig out as much of the foam around the wires as possible.

Attached Files:

love likes this.
  15. love Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te 610 2006 and 2018 701 sm
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 690 enduro
    thanks so much for the photo i will try your idea. so same issue happened to you. the flaw is gasoline and wires dont work together long term very well . so if i put jp weld on the area it might fix it. are u sure that is best material to use. long term gasoline exposure . jb weld??