610 Gas Cap key eliminator

Discussion in '610/630' started by JonXX, Dec 23, 2012.

1. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    Some have already figured it out, most haven't. So here's how to eliminate that stupid-assed second key for the gas cap, and still have everything factory.

Take the gas cap off. Duh. Press down on the inner hub on the end and pop the stainless pin out.
    [IMG]

A small screwdriver or knife point works well to get the pin started loose. Once you have it pushed through, by pressing down on the hub you should be able to shake the pin the rest of the way out.
    [IMG]

The spring is fairly stiff, so ease the hub up as easily as you can. Stuff shouldn't go flying across the shop, but in case they do, there are only three parts on this side of the cap: The hub, the spring, and the rotating lugs. Take the hub, spring, and lugs off, flip the key cover open and press the tumbler shaft out toward the top of the cap.
    [IMG]

You'll see a row of tabs sticking out of the side of the tumbler shaft. Grind them off.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

When you put the tumbler shaft back in the cap body, mind the o-ring that is likely to stay in the cap body, and mind the rubber seal around the key entry point.
    [IMG]

Reassemble in the reverse order of disassembly. When lining up the hub to replace the pin, mind the position of the key slot relative to the lugs inside the cap. It can be reassembled 90 degrees off and it won't move, so it'll be pretty easy to tell if you did it wrong. If so, no problem, just pull the pin and reposition the tumbler shaft and hub.
    [IMG]

Your gas cap will now open and close with the ignition key, a screwdriver, a knife point, whatever you want to stick in the key slot. BUT it will still look like it requires a key.

Happy frakkin' Christmas.
    Theo, robdogg, r6jon and 2 others like this.
  2. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

JonXX likes this.
  3. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cool...Yeah I searched and couldn't find it.
  4. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

Exactly, that's why it's so important to give your thread a name that makes sense in the long run
    While your cohesively named thread will be searchable forever, Nesbocsj's thread was probably virtually untraceable a month after inception because of its name...which is a shame
    The only reason I remembered it, is because I saw it back in 2009 and thought it was geniusly fantastic
    Anyway, I'm glad you redone it with a better name, 610 owners should know about this nifty little trick and now they have a better chance of stumbling on it
    :thumbsup:
    Blazes and JonXX like this.
  5. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Good to see that people are still finding this, and finding it useful!
  6. ZX10R203 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 Ninja ZX10R, 2009 Raptor 700R
    Sorry to raise this from the dead but does anyone have this write up with pictures???
  7. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    My apologies. Apparently I was hosting the images on my website, which I've since killed. Give me a bit and I'll replace the links if I can find the images again. It might be a day or two.
    Theo likes this.
  8. ZX10R203 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Any luck?
  9. ZX10R203 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Any luck?
  10. Coop610 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 Suzuki PE 175
    I don't think he is coming back lol.

It's really not hard to follow just the text without the pictures. I took mine apart and put it back together with just the text he posted. Once you get the cap off you will see it's pretty easy. I decided not to modify once it was all apart but there is not much to it.
  11. ZX10R203 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
  12. gots_a_sol Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR177
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 250RR
    Added some pics since I spent way too long trying to find my stupid tank key today.

JonXX likes this.
  13. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    My pics disappeared again?!? Argh! Good on ya!