610 clutch pull

Discussion in '610/630' started by Muddy Waters, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

How many fingers am I holding??? :D

I recently had a chance to ride my neighbor’s UZUki 06 DRZ-SM
    and the thing that completely surprise me about that particular bike was the clutch’s ease of pull
    I could, without a doubt use my pinkie to go thru the gears on that DRZ where on my 08 610SM it takes a firm two fingers to make progress… :excuseme:

It’s the stock cable and I’ve adjusted the twist knob on the bar almost to the end so it’s easer to find neutral…
    The preferable end result for me is an effortless one finger pull (on the clutch)…

What do you guys think is going on and how should I fix it?
    Thanks for the help

:thumbsup:
  2. Baritone Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several
    Sounds "normal" to me. Maybe you could look around to find a different spring for the clutch actuator arm...or do some squeezing exercises.:D
  3. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

I don’t know Bariton, the difference was too big in my opinion, to be “normal” on the Husky side…

I don’t have enough bike variety knowledge to know what’s normal; I only have a misguided presumption of what “feels” right and I’m telling you that 610's clutch feels wrong compare to the DRZ :excuseme:

Changing the actuator spring?
    Yea, that might do the trick
    I wonder if any of our sponsors sales those or have any other solutions?
    thank you :cheers:

Anyone else?

4. rajobigguy Administrator

I doubt that there is anything wrong. The 610 has a pretty heavy clutch and without a hyd. actuator it probably isn't going to get much better. If you can actuate the clutch with a firm two finger pull then that is about as good as it is going to get. Remember that the Suzi's clutch was designed to hold 38hp while the 610 is designed to hold 55.
  5. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I have no issues with the clutch pull on my 610. Yeah, I'd like it to be easier than it is, but it doesn't feel harder than it should...if that makes sense. It's a 2-finger operation for me. Maybe there's a problem with your clutch and/or cable?

I love the hydraulic clutch on my GasGas as it's silky-smooth and always 1-finger. However, the pull on my KTM 450 hydraulic clutch is way harder than it should be, as is every juice clutch on every KTM I've ever ridden, even the 200's. Doesn't make sense...

WoodsChick
  6. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Multistrada 1200 Enduro; Tiger 800XC
    I replaced the stock cable on my 610 with a Barnett, and it's a much easier pull now. The Barnett cable is coated and glides much more easily.
  7. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

I’ll admit that I’m kinda “wishing” for a fixable problem but my initial thought was exactly that
    Sooo hopefully you’re wrong Raj (uncharacteristically ;) )
    Yeah I too can do it all day long but if I had the UZU ease of pull I’ll be able to do it all month long…:D
    Lack of lube in the cable maybe? :thinking:
    You see, I was about to do that when I had problems finding neutral but since I fixed that I thought there’s no need…
    So if you’re saying that it is easier pull on the clutch now with the longer cable than I’ll need to look in to that again

:excuseme:
  8. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    What? These 610's came with a neutral? Hmmm...I did not know that.
    I just thought they got rid of it to save weight or something :p

WoodsChick
  9. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    I don't think that the Barnett's length is a factor, but the cable itself is coated (within the sheath) and it glides more easily. Add to that the fact that the cable sheath end at the clutch lever is a perfect fit into the receiver.

One thing I didn't do, though was remove the rubber boots from the stock cable and try to install them on the Barnett cable. Anyone attempted this?
  10. rajobigguy Administrator

Yes! It can be done but will require some safety wire, a vise, a pair of vise grips and a tube of KY Jelly.
  11. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

Did it made the one versus two fingers difference?

I wonder how’s the Motorsportz cable stock up to the barnnet’s one,
    would like to support our supporters whenever possible ;)
    although I don’t see 08 on there?

:excuseme:
  12. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    1 vs. 2, I can't say that it did. But it does feel much smoother; my stock cable felt "scratchy".

I agree that supporting Motosportz is a good thing. I got one of their billet tail racks for Christmas, and I'm a happy boy.
  13. dukepilot Viva l'Husqvarna d'Italia!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    450 SMR, TE250, CR125, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Duc, Buell, Honda
    Try an ASV c5 pro-perch assembly. It has a ball bearing pivot on the lever and with proper cable routing and lubrication of the barrel end, it makes clutch pull much easier and smoother. I'm still running the stock cable (rerouted) with the C5. Its been a while but I recall having to lightly modify the C5 perch for it to work on my 610.
  14. rajobigguy Administrator

Well for those that just don't like the cable arrangement, I have it on good authority that there will be a hyd. clutch assembly available soon.
  15. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the help duke, I'll keep this in mind :cheers:
    Roger will that make the desirable one verses two fingers fix or am I just asking too much out of the beast? :excuseme:

16. rajobigguy Administrator

Well, hydraulics engineering can get pretty complicated, it's a matter of force required to move an object a certain distance, the real advantage is that there is no mechanical drag, but the guy that's working on it is very familiar with Huskies and and he can get all the support that he desires about hydraulics. I'm sure that what he comes up with will be a dramatic improvement.