6 Hour Endurance BMP Racing

Discussion in 'Bills Motorcycle Plus' started by oregonsage, Mar 5, 2013.

1. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Team BMP finally got a chance to do a little racing last weekend here in the Pacific Northwest. Wonderful sunny conditions at Eddieville for the opening of the Over The Bars Gang Endurance Series 6 Hour. http://www.overthebarsgang.com/index.php

Mark and Nelson tried to pull together a 50+ team but we couldn't find anther 50 year old who was available on short notice. In the end Nelson recruited one of the Mt. Scott MC brothers, Ryan Clay and I donated my TXC511 to the cause and TEAM BMP RACING 6 HOUR was born.

Since Ryan is under 40 we ended up with two 50+ year olds mounted on new TXC310Rs and one 30-something on the TXC511 racing to 2nd place in the 30 Expert class, and they weren far off the pace for 1st. Old guys rule.

A few pics someone posted on SmugMug

Ryan Clay on my TXC511, first lap and looking a little tentative. http://gosports.smugmug.com/Motorcy...-race/28267393_84FQgD#!i=2391480992&k=nRsWjpt

Ryan getting the hang of the big TXC
    http://gosports.smugmug.com/Motorcy...-race/28267393_84FQgD#!i=2391854826&k=gsD5jD2

Now the 511 is working for Ryan !!!
    http://gosports.smugmug.com/Motorcy...-race/28267393_84FQgD#!i=2391820274&k=Jv4xsFJ

Nelson's first lap in competition on the '13 TXC310R
    http://gosports.smugmug.com/Motorcy...-race/28267393_84FQgD#!i=2391785564&k=jjQVrF9

Nelson driving out of a right hander
    http://gosports.smugmug.com/Motorcy...-race/28267393_84FQgD#!i=2391984376&k=VsXpXXR

Nelson in attack mode
    http://gosports.smugmug.com/Motorcy...-race/28267393_84FQgD#!i=2391976895&k=B7fVjwK

Mark chucking some rocks
    http://gosports.smugmug.com/Motorcy...-race/28267393_84FQgD#!i=2391935308&k=SjXc6pQ

Mark getting a little air on the TXC310R, trying out the Watson Suspension setup
    http://gosports.smugmug.com/Motorcy...-race/28267393_84FQgD#!i=2391901264&k=MtZ67HW

Thanks again to Bill's Motorcycle Plus for their support and assistance in putting the 6 Hour team together and to Husqvarna Rider Support for helping put Mark and Nelson on the 310Rs.
    Nelyon likes this.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Is that the new TM Design skid plate? Looks good, what do you think of it?
  3. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, I dont know ...I handed it to Mark to mount and sent him a link to the posts that said heating etc may be required....and voila it appears in pictures. Must not have been a big deal to fit it up.
  4. Nelyon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZF600R, 1981 CB900F
    It was an awesome day to race, the track conditions were perfect and the course was a fun one. Ryan got the nod to start for our team, the starts are always interesting at these team races. This year the bikes were layed on their sides and when the flag comes off the ground you pick your bike up and start it and go! Fortunately for Ryan the 511 is FE so he had no problem gettting it to fire and getting off the line, he had a good position for us after his 2 laps. The course was 9 miles and we decided to do 2 laps each before switching riders, Ryan and Mark were running anywhere from 19-21 minute laps, I was pretty consistant at 22 minutes.

I had a bailer in my first lap in a section that was nothing more than a simple whoop section, somehow instead of putting my right foot back on the peg I caught my rear brake and it got me out of shape enough that I went down. The result was a broken front fender. I picked it up quickly and passed the 2 guys that I had just got done passing before crashing in front of them. I think Ryan came close to a bailer but never let go of the bars and the worst that happened was the rear of the bike slid out under heavy braking for a corner he over shot.

The funny thing about this race and leaves our team with a few questions about our closest competitor, team number 34U, reportedly had a flat. How did we know? Mark was going through the check point at the same time and saw his front tire was flat. Should he tell him? Mark decided he would figure it out on his own so he decided not to say anything. 34U got through the check ahead of Mark but Mark quickly passed him on the motocross track. The track is very close to the pit area so did this rider go change bikes and pick up where he left off on the motocross track or did he proceed to go through the check point again and cut out almost and entire 9 mile lap? How did a team with a flat get ahead of us? We were very consistant with our lap times and the only crash was mine on my first lap. Team 34U finished 1st and we finished 2nd......wierd huh?

Now a few words about this TXC310R....FRIGGIN AWESOME!!! I love this bike, the power, the hook up in corners, the suspension, the light feel, its the best bike I have ever ridden. I rode a Yamaha WR450 for 6 years and loved the torque and top speed but it was heavy and I couldn't get it to turn in very quickly, it also landed heavy when jumping. I moved from that to the Husky WR300 which was much lighter and had gobs of power. I like that bike as well but if I were to keep it I would have to do something about the soft springs in the front. Anyway I am pleased to be riding this new 310R for the season and I want to thank Husqvarna Racer Support and Bill at BMP for helping me get into this awesome machine at a smoking price..THANKS GUYS!!!
    Motosportz likes this.
  5. Nelyon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    By the way we ended up with 18 laps, the AA and top Open Expert teams had 19. There were 2 Ironmen that had 17 each. This is unofficial of course until the results are posted on Over The Bars Gang's wevbsite
  6. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sounds like my CRF450X Hondas....not bad bikes, but noplace near as rideable as the TXC449/511.

I havent ridden our 310 yet, but Im looking forward to giving it a whirl soon.
  7. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Nice job guys!

Nelyon,
    did you iron man on a WR300 from Bill's a year or two ago? I vaguely remember somebody doing this, but dont know whom it was.

I'm still pretty giddy about that 6hr race and am certainly going to hit some more this year. Unfortunately it wont be the next 2 (E'ville & P'ville) as I'll be traveling. Sucks cause I kinda wanted to chase points this year.....
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I think that guys name is Ben, Motosportz Mike knows and helps him out I believe.
  9. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    This year your best 8 results are what counts so its easier to chase points and miss a few, though you do need to ride at least 6 in a series.
  10. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Since a protest was not filed at the time there is little that can be done here, other than knowing what you really accomplished (2-50+ guys and someone almost 39 who hasnt raced for years scored big in 30 Expert !!!)

That said, I have made the promoter aware of the situation and he will query the 'magical flat tire' team about how they managed to get ahead while running a flat front tire for a whole lap. Who knows, maybe their consciences are eating away at them and they will send you the first place trophy.

This was a nice shakedown run on the new 310Rs and we are all looking forward to the first points races back at Eddieville on March 16-17
  11. Nelyon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Twas not I, I haven't Ironmanned anything yet :)
  12. Nelyon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mark and I conteplated a protest but decided since it's not a points situation we would let it slide, I would like to know if in fact 34U was the team with a flat.
  13. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    We can follow up with Scott when we get back to Eddieville on the 16th. By then he may have gotten confirmation, or at least tried.