1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

500 engine problems

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Husq.fleet, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Story starts with my mistake, buying something without actually seeing it in person-OK I'll take that responsiblity. Bought a 83-XC500 basically for the engine, my 83-XC500 needs a rod kit, another story. Talk a friend into delivering it for me on his way "by". Guy said it runs great-blaw-blaw. Get it home, its a 84 WR500, no biggie, actually looks better than picture, which just was engine. Gas is really dead in it, clutch cover is broke bad, wont even hold over a pint of oil. Clean carb, fresh plug, change clutch cover with one off of a dead waterpumper, put soft plug in pump hole. Spend a couple of evenings fighting spark with the PVL it has, I thought was a bonus because he never mentioned it, found out why-crummy spark. Finally get it running and take it out to ride. Spend another hour trying to get it to run when I get there, have thoughts about the lost guy in "On Any Sunday". Finally starts ride around for a few minutes and notice LH boots all oily-nice! Stop and find out my soft plug in waterpumper clutch cover is gone!:banghead: Still has oil in it and only hundred yards across pasture to father in laws shop. Kick it twice, no start, I dont know why I hoped for anything else? Third kick funny firing noise, kinda a pop and smoke comes out hole in clutch cover? Crank seal on LH bad? Didnt run it very long but seemed to run not so good and was "pulse thing" on de-acceleration. Smoke came out for awile after the "pop" like blowby on a four cycle would? Did I have combustion downstairs and it pushed its way thru the crank seal? Any help will be appreciated, Scott
  2. hawaii-rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2018 TC250, 2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    04 CRF-270x, 95 CR500, 93 CR250 etc
    wow......

thats a head scratcher
    so many things it could be from air leak to very bad crank seals
    smoke out of exhaust, much?
    any color to it?

Need coffee to go with head scratching on this one
    too early too soon....
    :excuseme:

Hang in there, we will get the beast up and running.

HR
  3. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

start by pulling the motor & splitting the cases.....
  4. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Started building a case splitter today.