1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

5 Years Later... 175 GP Restoration Resumes

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Binx, May 28, 2021.

1. Binx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 BMW GS, 2004 Honda Ruckus
    Hey - after 5 years am finally resuming my 175 GP restoration. Currently working on my Leleu front wheel.
    20210528_174058.jpg
    I have clear access to the bearing on the brake side of the hub but can't get at the bearing on the other side. There is a notched ring, as shown in the photos, that engages with the odo/speedo. The bearing sits behind that notched ring. Not sure how to remove the notched ring; its in there pretty tight.

Anyone know how to remove that ring? Don't want be hammering and levering until I know what I'm doing. Thanks in advance for any help.

Also including a photo of that little odo/speedo drive unit. Binx View attachment 104283
  2. Binx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
  3. Max R Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 175 Cross Country. 1976 360wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda ST1100, 1969 Honda CT70,
    Good to see you back on the 175 project. I often wondered about it.

Max
  4. Binx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hey, Max - yeah, finally getting back to the 175 project. Started cleaning up the front wheel but eventually decided to pull the whole thing apart to "really" clean it. Rim has a ding and the spokes are corroded but they cleaned up ok with a wire wheel.

Still can't figure out how to get that odo/speedo notched pawl off the front hub. Did you have one of those on your front wheel? Can't get at the bearing without removing that pawl.

20210528_130208.jpg
    Brian Squires likes this.
  5. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    To remove the speedo drive flange. Pull the brake side axle bearing and then you can drive the speedo drive flange and bearing out from the inside. The speedo drive flange is just pressed into the hub casting same as the bearings.

Marty
    DeathFromAbove likes this.