1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

5 bolt vs 6 bolt clutches?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by ajcmbrown, Jul 23, 2015.

1. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    Does anyone know when Husqvarna went from a 5 bolt clutch to a 6 bolt clutch in the LC models?
    I have been looking through parts catalogs for a part number for my clutch basket and it appears that all the listed clutches from '86-89 in the catalogs are for 5 bolt/spring clutches.
    Therefore I am unable to find a reference for the 6 bolt/spring clutch basket.
    Did the basket change with the increase in bolt/springs or does it cover both types?
    Also, is the 5 bolt clutch considered a small clutch and the 6 bolt a large clutch?
    TIA, Tony.
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    The 1987-1988 clutches are the six spring ones that attach with a nut and fold over washer. The earlier ones, at least 5 or so years earlier have 5 springs and attach with a snap ring. Yes the basket changes as the plates themselves are larger in diameter.
  3. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    Thanks Fran, I have been looking in the '88 Two Stroke parts list and it lists five clutch springs and bolts in the part quantity column for my model so I assumed it was referring to the small clutch, I can't find a listing for a six spring clutch, the four strokes list a different part number and also five springs/bolts.
    I had hoped that the parts list would be definitive, but I guess it could have been updated after the list I have.
    Tony.
  4. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    The four stroke 1988 sheet I have even shows the older snap ring design. I am not sure if I ever had my clutch apart far enough to see what is really there on there. I did see the ratio was the same as what you have in the data. Sorry for the distraction. If you see the bolt on clutch it is the six spring one. Not 125 model or at least I can't say about them. Paper parts books at a dealership marked up with corrections certainly have advantages over microfilm an computer files.
  5. rwgregory Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 500XC, 1987 510TX, 1990 510WMX
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 Honda CR250,'88 CR500,'92 XR600
    Fran...k, I could not have said that better myself. Bravo!!
  6. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 510TE , 300WR Etc...
    Don't forget the 6 spring clutch will not fit in the 5 spring clutch cover!!!

Andy
    ajcmbrown likes this.