1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 49mm RM conventional fork swap

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by dnietsche, Feb 17, 2014.

1. dnietsche Husqvarna
    AA Class

Has anyone completed this swap? If so what did you do to make it work? I searched the site and didn't find anything.

Thanks!
    Dan
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    onto what bike? Measure the stem and bearings, always EZer to swap triples and everything.
  3. Auslander Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm about done with that swap on my '06 WR125. There is no way to just swap bearings, the RM stem needs to be pressed out and cut down to fit the Husky bearings. I can put together the details if you want them.
    Motosportz likes this.
  4. dnietsche Husqvarna
    AA Class

The complete front end is going on a 2002 CR250. Auslander, I would love to hear the details. I have a machinist that I know well so that part is not an issue, I just want to take some of the guesswork out of the process.

Thanks.
  5. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    all i know is i got a set of those forks [just the legs] and they can be yours
  6. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    I know those were rumored to be good forks (I have never ridden one myself), but is it really worth all the trouble, when you could just set up the stock forks on the bike?
  7. dnietsche Husqvarna
    AA Class

In my case the stock forks are so damaged internally that it would cost more to repair than swapping the forks.
  8. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    DAMAGED how you manage that?
  9. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    if you are looking for a simpler way to do the triple clamp, in 1998 they used conventional Marzocchi forks not sure if they were 49mm but I think they were 50mm anyway the tripleclamps would fit your bike, not sure if the steering stops interchange but that could be dealt with
    dumb question are the RM forks better than the Marzocchi Magnums
  10. dnietsche Husqvarna
    AA Class

First off I didnt do anything to the forks. This is a rehab of a bike I got for dirt cheap. The dampner rod came loose from the cap where the connect damaging the rod and cap, all seals and bushings need to be replaced, and one of the springs was broken. Like I said, they were damaged.
  11. robj Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    KX/KDX200 hybrid
    I'm running Showa RM conventional 49s on my WR144. They're great forks (some of the only twin chamber conventionals produced). I had same issue, the originals were damaged. There's 2 ways to do this, both involve machining.

1. get 96-98 RM triples and get a new stem machined to match the profile of the Husky stem. The machining is not expensive, but you need to buy good quality raw ally for the job. This is what I did. The rm triples are 20mm offset (very close to the Husky's 18mm) and is actually an improvement over stock. I found some billet Applied Racing RM 49 triples which had an adjustable bar mount. You could even use DRZ triples, the earlier ones being bang on 18mm.

2. keep Husky triples get a machinist to turn you 4 bushes to sleeve down the triples to take the 49mm tubes.

Either way you'll need an RM front wheel, axle and brake calliper.

I took the harder option and used the Husky wheel and wavy disc by converting hub to earlier Husky WR bearing/seal size to run with the RM axle. They match. Just preferred the look of this set up. You'll need to make 2 spacers to position the wheel correctly. I can let you know the size if you go this route. You also need to buy a 'Braking' adaptor to hold the RM calliper further out for the bigger Husky disc.

DSCF3472.JPG DSCF3477.JPG IMG_7987.JPG
    taps, 454x and Motosportz like this.
  12. Moto7man Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    GasGas
    I know this is an old thread. I am doing a full restoration on a 1984 RM 250E and I am considering a Showa conventional conversion. But before I do anything, does anyone know the stock offset for the 84 RM 250?