48mm Forks Maybe?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by SteveCrashed, Oct 28, 2021.

1. SteveCrashed Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Tiger 800 XRT
    Hi everyone!

I recently became the owner of a Terra I purchased at a great price as it has some problems with the front forks. Does anyone have any experience or has anyone attempted to upgrade the front forks on the Terra to a 48mm fork? (I intend to replace the triple clamps as well not just the forks) If so can I pick your brain on the process and any pitfalls which occurred?

I've scoured both here and ADVRider but haven't been able to find anyone who's done it before. If someone has and they've written about it can a kind soul point a traveler in the right direction?

(I am looking at doing this largely cause I like to tinker. Yes I am aware it will likely be more expensive than just getting the current forks repaired.)

Any assistance is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance and ride safely!
  2. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    I replaced my forks on my Strada with a set from a Suzuki DRZ400sm. Fitting the forks to the Strada triple clamps was straightforward. A couple of measurements and machining the triples bores and I was good to go for fitting the forks to the triples. In my case I only had to open the bores up about .019 on the top triple clamp and .038 on the bottom triple clamp if I'm remembering right. The wheel/hub was the biggest problem as I kept my BMW/Husky wheel setup and mated it to the DRZ axle. Had to source nonstandard size bearings, a 310 brake rotor, machine various spacers and fab a mount for the ABS sensor.

IMG_20200220_114909483.jpg
  3. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT