1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

449 / 511 recap and info

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Motosportz, May 7, 2013.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    As the BMW era is over and the 449 / 511 platform is sure to be dead soon I would like to recap my experience for those that might be looking to snap up the spectacular deals on these machines.

Much hated by the mags, BMW haters and reviewers but seemingly loved by most real customers this bike has been very polarizing. Many saying how stupid forward thinking of the CTS, rear tank, interesting plastic design, tank located air filter and other features are. Many bashing the Taiwanese motor. Just seems it got off on a really bad foot. Then it seems only a few people wanted to race it and could do well on it. This left an odd bike with many crap reviews and endless spewing from the haters.

The bike is what it is. I have always been drawn to husky for the uniqueness and this Germany / Italian red headed step child really upped the stakes here. Very odd and polarizing bike.

My thoughts on the bike are well documented here and on TT. I like it, it has treated me well and think i will be enjoying it for a long time. I am one to swap bikes out a lot and have owned tons of new and used bikes with MANY of them being huskys in the last decade.

for those of you new to even thinking about this bike based on the fire sale here are some food for though bullet points.

1. Bike has been very solid. No oil and water leaks around the water pump and various sealing seams like the older motors.

2. Almost zero issues with crank and con rod bearing failures the older motor had

3. Valves have not moved in over 4000 miles.

4. oil comes out very clean and is very EZ to change with the side drain and EZ access filter.

5. Air filter is a little hard to see if the far end is sealing right, takes a bit to get to it and is an odd setup. That said it seems to stay about 4x as clean as a conventional located airfilter and has proven to me anytimes to make the bike a submarine in water crossings. In the end I like the design.

6. Rear filled underseat tank. I can see how this would be an issue for racers and is also hard to upgrade to a larger tank. This has largely been a non issue for me and works fine. the Nomad tank I run gets me 100 plus miles. there is also Safari and IMS big tanks if needed. Were are covered here even if they are odd solutions to an odd problem.

7. Wear parts seem to last forever on this bike. At over 4000 miles I am still on the stock pads, the chain and sprockets seems last far longer and IMHO this is due tot he CTS keeping constant tension instead of whipping at the sprockets as everything changes length on a conventional setup. Valves never move.

8. Hydro clutch has been bullet proof. None of the slave cylinder issues that seem rampant on the older motor.

9. Rear inverted linkage is brilliant, has zerks, makes the lower shock bolt as EZ as a PDS none linkage, works great. Superior design IMHO. No linkage to drag over rocks and logs and no way to bend it all up.

10. Wheels have been rock solid

11. KYB suspension has been very good, i am still on my stock fork seals (unheard of for me). Sending it off To ZipTy to upgrade and service as it is time but pretty happy with the stock stuff (TE model)

12. Overall fit and finish is VERY good.

13. Battery box is integrated into the under seat tank and captures it perfectly and no ejecting into the air filter (impossible) like all the older models did.

14. CTS countershaft sprocket changes are EZ and not the nightmare some had suggested / speculated. The bonus is you can grease the swing arm bearing EZ and they are very simple to get to. To me the CS sprocket change being slightly harder than conventional is completely offset by the EZ of the swing arm bearings to get to and service.

15. Keighn EFI is far superior to the Mikuni stuff on the older bikes. Not perfect but far better.

16. I have not heard of any fuel pump issues on these bikes which is rampant on the older bikes.

17. I like the see through fuel subtank, give quick indication of how much gas is left that is EZ to check while riding the bike.

18. Head bearings have a far better seal and as such life than the older bikes.

Handling. Some find it odd and off putting, some don't even notice it is different and some embrace it. I have zero issues with it and think the bike handles nice for a 260 pound e-start big bore four stroke. Is it the sharpest turning most accurate bike i have ever ridden, no. Is it quite acceptable, planted like crazy and rewarding, yes.

CTS, IMHO works fantastic, brings really no down side for my type of use and does not bring the maintenance nightmares many thought it would.

Issues?

- Oil breather and oil level is a issue with several solutions. Not a big issue but needs addressed.
    - Air filter is odd to service and hard to tell if the back side is sealing. Not really an "issue" but not as simple as a standard screw on cone shaped air filter to service and feel positive about the seal it provides.
    - rear fuel fill. None issue for me but can see where racers and thick mud riders could struggle with it some.
    - Flame outs right off idle. Some have it worse than others. Some fixes, not a huge issue but is there.
    - Shifter, kinda odd shaped and to high. Hard to get to the mounting bolt to tighten or remove.
    - Crank mounted clutch makes the cover stick out and feel odd and in the way for the first ride or so. then you get used to it and never notice it again unless you trade off bikes a lot.
    - rear fender is more complicated than it needs to be.

So if you are interested in one of these machines look over my list and see if it fits you. IMHO the bike is very well built, the motor is rock solid, a complicated machine that seems to be well put together so it does not cause major issues. I really enjoy mine for what I use it for, DS and faster open riding. For tight trails it is not my top choice as i have an amazing 165 for that but will handle those situations amazingly well too.

I know many love to hate this bike. Thats fine, I really enjoy it, like the crazy uniqueness and it has been a very solid performer for me. Makes great power once uncorked, loves to wheelie for miles. Seat concepts seat and Nomad tank has made it an amazing DS bike. Stops people in their tracks and they come look and ask questions about it as it is obviously different and cool looking. Been a real fun ride. Sad that this model did not receive big upgrades / focus and move forward. I think it has a lot to offer and a few years refinement would make it an amazing bike.

Ride more.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    tonskiguy, tshea529, K5PL5 and 11 others like this.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Oh, as I have really enjoyed this bike for 2 years and 4000 plus miles it is time for me to upgrade it. Will be sending the suspension to ZipTy and the clutch for EFM for the autoclutch deal. this will allow me to run higher gearing and tackle tight trails EZer while still cruzing 65 plus on the roads and transfer sections.
    aciel78 likes this.
  3. fasteer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 701 Enduro
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco SEF300 (for sale)
    I agree!
    There is also the 'hanging throttle' glitch. Not a big deal to me, but as you say, it is there.
    My flame-outs seem to have disappeared since installing the JD tuner.
    Can't say that they will be missed.
  4. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    The bike is pure awesomeness. There are only two fails I see on the bike.

1) Because of emission laws, BMW was forced to lock the ecu and put air friendly settings in. (easily cureable).

2) The hasty decision to lower the crankcase oil level from what it was originally designed and the running of a higher viscosity opened a "Pandora's box" of engine issues which cost us many off road titles.

As a community, we came together and over came these flaws to produce one of the finest dirt machines money can buy. #1

[IMG]
    HxcEnduRo and Rearwheelin like this.
  5. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    Well said Kelly. I love mine.

It would be great to see what a few years of development could bring. A wide ratio gearbox and a larger rear fuel tank would be fantastic.
  6. InsuranceGuy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    4 Hondas 1 Yamaha 1 Kawasaki
    What a timely article, I am in negotiations to purchase a 2013 TE 511.
    I’m a little concerned about the price to update this bike to run properly and parts availability
    So far it seems I have to:
    1. Fix Oil breather and oil level.
    2. Change pipe to FMF.
    3. Jumper
    4. Change maps to #3
    5. Get something called JD tuner.

Anyone have an estimate on the cost of all this stuff? The main reason I looked
    Into Husky is because of the incentive program. I was going to buy Suzuki DRZ 400
    Because all three of the other Dual sports were over $10,000.00. (KTM, Beta, Husky)
    But with the incentive program I figure I could get a better bike Husky at A Suzuki price.
  7. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Did you just compare the 511 with a Drz... Fired. Toss him outside with Chilly White...

Haha, no, the 449/511 is awesome and you don't have to change all those things. Some riders keep it *cough.. radar cough* stock. :D
  8. InsuranceGuy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    4 Hondas 1 Yamaha 1 Kawasaki
    It was my understanding that if you kept it stock, it would Stall. Can I come inside now?
    4eyes and Tinken like this.
  9. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I'd keep it stock for 30 days, then plug in the jumper and load new maps. :D

449_511_sales.pdf
  10. henson802 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Great write up. I own a 2010 TE 250 and enjoy it a lot. But I did have to do quite a bit of tinkering just to get it to run the way it should though.

It'd be interesting to hear comparisons to other known brands, what Husqvarna does specifically better or worth the extra money / lack of dealer support over say Honda or Yamaha or Kawasaki which has a dealership around every corner and parts for them are generally a bit cheaper.

When you have a 'Proven' brand like Yamaha and Honda - why pay the extra money for Husqvarna that has a lack of support in most areas of the US (besides Cali) and been well documented they don't exactly run well off factory floor. And when you do tinker around with exhaust or uncorking, you have to go back to reset TPS, and even then sometimes people have to spend more money.

I'm not hating Husky. I think they are great quality bikes. But to me, the reason to go Husky over a proven brand like Honda or Yami with far reaching support / cheaper parts is miniscule. That said, I don't plan to sell my TE250 any time soon!
    B_M_F likes this.
  11. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    I have always had Japanese bikes but I could not find a Japanese street legal dual sport that weighed under 300lbs. certainly not with the quality components that the Husky has. IE; wheels, brakes, controls, and suspension. The TE449 is not perfect but over all I an pleased.
    4eyes and turtlemoye like this.
  12. henson802 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Odd... I have a 2004 Yamaha WR 450, Baja Designs kit - Completely Street Legal ... weight was around 245 dry, just like a Husky TE 449. So add maybe 15 more lbs max with Baja Designs kit and you are quite a bit under 300lbs. I haven't ridden a TE 449 but honestly, the WR450 with the Street Kit doesn't feel too much heavier then my TE 250 which is supposedly listed at like 235lbs dry. I can feel the difference, but marginal when it's actually going down trails, plus the Yami cranks 50 hp without blinking.

It is what it is. Husqvarna's are definitely quality. But Honda/Yamaha have proven Durability and Cheap/Available parts almost everywhere. And that's where the Japanese bikes shine vs Husqvarna. I guess it's largely dependent where you live... I still have to mail order Husqvarna oil and air filters - or drive 3 hours. Honda or Yamaha, drive 5 minutes and pay a bit less...
    Motosportz likes this.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I rode mine completely stock but with the provided power up plug installed and was happy. Then I decatted the stock muffler and found some power. Then I cut the stock can off, welded a muffler I had here on it and lost all the huge ugly and gained more power. Then JD asked me to borrow my bike to setup the EFI tuners and I got a bike back that went from nice kitten to OMG. So yes, you can actually make the bike run good for nearly no cost or for not much investment make it FAST. Several solutions for the oil overflow deal from cheap and ugly to engineered and very cool. The basic bike is VERY good, some Ez upgrades and it is fantastic. Where you go from there is all on you.
    Tinken likes this.
  14. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    You are correct about the WR450 but I was looking for a new bike. There are a lot of great used bikes out there but not for me.
  15. henson802 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I hear ya, but you can buy a new CRF450X or Yamaha WR450 and put Baja Designs kit on it. It does cost an extra $450, but those bikes will run with a whole lot of grunt straight from factory with very minor adjusting to get them to bark.

Back to Husqvarna....

To be honest, the reason I got a TE 250 was because you could plate it straight from dealership - and it was light.

So there is definitely good things that Husqvarna has done there and I think that's probably why they had the success with the 449/511 lineup.. It really appeals to a lot of people knowing they can plate a 'dirt bike' straight from factory. But the problem is that since they advertise it as '50 state legal' - even those who live outside of California, suffer from the strict emissions that clog up the bikes power. And then when you uncork and rip all that crud off.. you have to readjust all the fuel injection settings.

Probably in a few years Yamaha or Honda will be bringing out their fleet of street legal dirt bikes. Hopefully they won't encounter some of the setbacks the Husqvarna's have initially experienced.

Cheers
    McKay and Radar like this.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    In many states you cant do that. It needs to have the right VIN and paperwork or no plate.
    turtlemoye and fasteer like this.
  17. henson802 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Hmm, I think year 2005 and up on all Yamaha WR450fs are green stickered (typically that allows to be plated for Cali - and anywhere)... I'm not too sure about Honda CRF450x, but know it is now.. probably did it around same time.

When people shop around for Dirt Bikes... They want Durability / Quality / and availability of parts and price of them over anything else (and it run well of course). People are out on trails want to know that it will get them back home. And lets face it , on a dirt bike, you will be probably changing parts and doing work on it at some point, so price and availability of parts is second to none as well.

Husqvarna has definitely quality parts, though abeit pricey from my experience.. Durability is still in question as some people have experienced problems with X-Lite engines and that lineup are relatively new (x-lite engine)..

I'm just trying to give an unbiased opinion. I own a Husqvarna and a Yamaha. Build quality to me is roughly the same, with Yamaha having cheaper parts and proven durability. But that's not to say every time I ride the Husky it doesn't bring a smile to my face, as it always does. But I've had issues finding parts for it, and when I do - they are pricey. Not to mention all the stuff I had to do to get it to run right... but that was the first year of the X-Lite models so maybe there's reason for that.

Any how - I think this is a great , informative thread and will try to keep it focused on Husqvarna - and are great bikes regardless! :thumbsup:
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    In many states including Oregon and California if it did not come from the factory with a plate you are not getting one. Washington just overturned this last year so we are free to plate dirtbikes now. Liberating.
    McKay and Rearwheelin like this.
  19. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Thanks a lot, Kelly. :mad: I did not need to see this :naughty:
    I've ridden a couple 449's and one 511 and I loved them all. Really. I was super impressed with the 449 and would love to own one, especially if I can get a decent deal on one. I'm trying to justify it to myself, then I have to get it past Eric. I'm just afraid that one more bike is going to push him past the tipping point and then I'll be looking for another place to live :o

And, yeah, no more plating dirt bikes in California, no matter what color sticker they come with.
    Tinken likes this.
  20. Londin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449 MY11
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 848 and Hypermotard 1100
    Nice write up mate.
    I'm enjoying my bike and have nothing real bad to say about it. Doesn't matter what bike you get, there is always something you can improve.

Just ride the damn thing BRRRRRAAAPPP
    bbc likes this.