1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

449/511 Crank Mod

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Scram503, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Scram503 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC449 plated
    Anybody have any information on the crank journal mod that allows for better bearing cooling? Tried to get ahold of zipty without any luck. Am really looking for pictures or info of what was done.
    Thanks much!
  2. Riding Again Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sold TriumphTiger800xcx, TR650 Terra
    I do not think zipty will release this information. I could be wrong but I think I seen where they said it was proprietor kind of thing.
  3. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    I do not know for sure, but I suspect they were using an old engine builder's technique of radiusing the oil gallery and linishing the edges to promote better oil distribution under the bearing.
    Unless you are racing the engine, frequent oil changes, using 5W40 MA wet clutch rating oil, and running the correct (1150ml) should see long life from the bike.
    Big Timmy likes this.
  4. andyfrizzle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM GP450
    I can't remember on which forum I read it, i've tried to find it again but failed, the Zipty crank modification is supposed to double the flow of oil to the big end/gudgeon pin. If it is doubled I would suggest that the oil galleries, to the big end, are drilled out to a 40% larger diameter. I have not yet had to split one of these engines, so I have not been able to examine the feasibility of doing this. Is there anyone who has split/rebuilt one of these engines who can provide any information?
  5. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Also possible the original oil hole in the big end was drilled on one side only and they simply drilled the opposing side (ie right through)
    That would double the oil delivery.
    While crank failure does occur on these engines, it's not terribly widespread for regular users of the bikes.
    We have around 1300 Facebook members for these bikes on our page and have only seen a handful of failures. Usually in bikes with an unknown service history...
    A race engine running at full rpm frequently would be a different story
  6. andyfrizzle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM GP450
    I found the reference/statement in this forum.

It is

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/highest-mileage-te-smr-449-or-511.31096/page-2

where Tinken, formerly of this parish, states the crank mod allows 4x the flow of oil to the crank/big end.

That would need any oil passages or galleries doubled in diameter.

I have a CCM and it never goes over 8000 rpm, so I hope it will be a while before I have to delve into the crankcase.
  7. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Do frequent oil changes (ie don't leave it as far as CCM suggest), use good quality synthetic oil made for motor cycles in the right grade, and you should have no issues.

Tinken did have, let's say, a way of talking things up at times. Certainly had some great info and helped lots of people out, but also didn't mind embellishing the facts a little.
    (have a look for the HP figures for his engine if you can. They increased with each re-telling)