1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

449/511 Breather hose mod

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Croc, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Croc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    I have read a few threads on here about a breather hose mod. I can't seem to find a specific post on what was done & how. I have sorted out on how not to overfill with oil, but what mods have been done to stop oil going into the air box & spewing all over the motor. A little bit of detail would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    The crank case mod is to unplug it from the airbox . Cap hole/plug airbox and then route the hose to the ground..... I haven't done this yet , I fear deep water crossings and water in my oil along with dust to.. I gues you can run a crankcase breather filter but unless you want to dangle it on the end down towards the ground I don't know how your going to keep oil off the bike .. Mine leaks on the engine a little but I run the oil level up a bit still...... Have 1000cc of oil in it .... I think the bigger piston in the 511 might add more velocity threw the breather getting more oil on the air filter...
    Tinken likes this.
  3. B3NO-511 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Trail/Tard TE511 FX350
    Ive had this problem on my 511, was pissin me of with the oil all over the engine after goin in for service.

Ive found to fill it up only to bottom of sight glass, works good. still plenty of oil in there.
    And ive just put some tape on the inside of the airbox to cover the two holes.

Blocking the breather line from the crankcase is a bad idea, as its there for a reason, Pos-Neg pressure for the crankcase.
    SAM511 and Rearwheelin like this.
  4. Croc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    Its not the mod I was after, I know there are others
  5. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    So far Ive seen the addition of a vent filter on the hose, not blocking it. However, something that includes a catch area for any overflow I have not seen.
  6. racer726 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I haven't had this issue with my tc 449. Maybe it was more of a 511 issue? I've got probably five hours of motocross on it.
  7. taylor te449 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    This is the Australian dealer answer as to how to fill the TE449. I have tried this and it works no more slobbering

“1150 ml of oil is too much, how do you know exactly if all oil is out of engine at oil change? this would be a dry engine capacity.
    The problem is when to check oil level, refill with 900ml, then run engine 3 mins, have bike upright, remove filler plug, oil level should be to the bottom of the thread, this is approx. ¼ showing in glass. Add if needed, if overfull will dribble out filler hole over top of threads. Lean bike to right if needed to level off excess.”
  8. spud1968 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Im gonna throw a spanner in the works with this comment. I fill to three quarters full on the site glass with no problems! When the bike was new it used to dump the extra oil in the air box at three quarters full so i then only filled to quarter on the site glass. However, I then, two oil changes ago accidently filled it to three quarters full and didn't drain the extra oil, but i've no problems with oil in the air box. I put 1ltr of oil in ever change with the same is coming out. Ive done about 200 miles.....all i can say is like above comments fill to quarter full on the site glass if that works for you job done. I dont know if a free flow fmf exhaust has had any difference because this is all thats changed on my bike recently.
  9. javadog Husqvarna
    A Class

Just level your bike and fill to the top of the oil filler hole/thread yep
    benwiggin2 likes this.
  10. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    I think you mean fill to the BOTTOM of the filler hole...which is the same as lower half of the sight glass. If you fill to the top of the hole there will be a lot of oil on the ground ;)
    ascribner likes this.
  11. Bankso Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 2011
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZF1000, TTR 5O
    All I done was removed the breather hose from the air box and cut a piece of sponge about 2 inches long and wide enough to be tight in the breather hose, then jammed the sponge into the hose and reattached it to the air box problem fixed. With that and making sure that the oil levels where right I have had "GREAT SUCCESS" and it only cost me my time.
    Jose Carrillo likes this.
  12. Desertyucca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 & TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    DR650, IT490 a few others.
    “1150 ml of oil is too much, how do you know exactly if all oil is out of engine at oil change? this would be a dry engine capacity.
    The problem is when to check oil level, refill with 900ml, then run engine 3 mins, have bike upright, remove filler plug, oil level should be to the bottom of the thread, this is approx. ¼ showing in glass. Add if needed, if overfull will dribble out filler hole over top of threads. Lean bike to right if needed to level off excess.”
    [/quote]

I Stumbled on this trick once when I over filled and had to drain some. Works great, thanks for posting this ;)
  13. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250X, 81 Yamaha RD350LC, 90 RZ350
    Thats because the dealers haven't got a clue how much oil to put in these bikes. Mine came back from its first service with way too much oil in it. First ride it pumped at least 200 mls into the airbox and made a hell of a mess. Once I got that cleaned up the bike finally quit puking out oil and it is still full above the top of the sight glass. I was NOT impressed with the dealer.
  14. Croc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    This is what has been done to mine now
  15. javadog Husqvarna
    A Class

Doh.Yes thats what i meant lol:doh:
  16. McKay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350S, 2016 TE300
    Im a lucky one I guess, when I drain I warm up the bike, open up all the drain and scavage screens and lean her way over to the left. Once its done making a making a mess draining, I cap it all off and I simply fill it with a quart of Spectro. This puts me at half a sight glass cold.

Never had an issue yet.

I probably will now that I said this :thinking:
  17. HuskyKT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310 & 2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    4 Suzuki GV1200 Madura
    I have not changed my oil yet but I have drained a lot out. I cannot believe how much the oil expandes when hot. Now with the engine cold the level is at the bottom of the site glass and after a 15min ride it is 1/2 -3/4 the way up on the glass. Running at this level I have not had any oil in the air breather box.
  18. rt3856 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011TE449
    When I first got my TE449 it suffered from lazy bike syndrome "layed down a lot"
    after three oil changes I just fill it to the bottom of the sight glass. showing just above the bottom maybe 1/4 of the sight glass.
    No oil on the engine for quite a while. :)
    Tinken likes this.
  19. taylor te449 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    Well it looks like the real answer is the oil level at the bottom of the oil filling plug or 1/4 of the site glass.I have now run and changed the oil for the second time using this method and have had no issues. Hope everyone has good sucess with this
    Desertyucca likes this.
  20. tshea529 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    That's what I do and never had a problem.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.