1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

430ae Crank in a 430xc Motor?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by husky jim, Feb 17, 2019.

1. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300, 87 430wr, 86 430ae, Tr650
    I was wondering if anyone has tried using a 430 automatic crank in a 430xc motor?
    Or does anyone if it would work and what it would take to make work?
  2. husqvarna-parts Husqvarna
    AA Class

lower crank pin is shorter on the auto
  3. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The crank weights on the AE are narrower than these on the XC motors ( I think 2 or 4 mm).
  4. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    The big end pin is shorter on the auto motors I have had apart than an 430 standard shift. I suppose the way Michael says the crank weights are narrower is similar. I am pretty sure with a new pin the rod and bearing could be used with the rest of the standard shift crank. Pretty sure one of the vendors sells just a new pin. The output shaft is much different as well. The key in the ignition taper may also be in a different location would have to look there are differences there in various cranks I have.

I have swapped piston, cylinder and head 430 auto vs standard shift. Liquid cooled of course.
  5. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    On
    Frank, sounds like you have had several L/c cranks apart? I have not. Do recall seeing 2 thrust washers one on each side of the rod on the big end?
  6. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have engines apart, did pay to have a 500 crank pressed apart once. There are no thrust washers on 430 auto or xc or wr and my guess is cr but never had one of them to take apart. I think the thrust washers are in the 250 or perhaps earlier larger that I have not experience with might even be on the small end could look at a parts diagram. Looks like the small end of the 125 and 250 for thrust washers in 1983, nothing at the big end.

The only difference I can see from the first 430 the air cooled ones to the 88 ones is the slot for the water pump drive, and the 87-88 rod is a bit different. Of course auto cranks differ as noted above. The 500 seems there are three variants in balance factor, the last variant omitted the lube passage to the big end bearing.

Fran Kxxxxxxx is my name
  7. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I bought this motor as a parts motor with the Rod, big end bearing, and pin came in a ziplock baggie with one thin washer that fits perfectly over the pin. I thought there may of been 2 washers one on each side of the Rod. Here's some pics of what I got notice the gaulding on the crank weights where the big end bearing goes? what do you think
    IMG_1050.JPG IMG_1060.JPG IMG_1051.JPG IMG_1058.JPG
  8. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    That is the 87-88 rod. I see auto parts in the background but it is not an auto crank. Have to look in my zip lock bag from the crank I had taken apart. Those washer things would not be visible unless the crank is pressed apart, sorry if I put up any misleading stuff.
  9. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

You are correct. I'm wanting to build a Super Moto, using a 1987 430xc parts motor (basket case) I bought online. The picture is of the 1987 crank and rod that goes to the parts motor.

I just noticed on the parts break down there is a washer #8 distance spacer goes on the right side.
  10. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I got around to taking some pictures. I am now in the smart phone age as opposed to the digital camera and smart media card. These have been resized the smart phone has some choices but all too large for the purposes of internet forums.

There is also a thread in the Italian section of a guy rebuilding the end of the line two stroke with pictures. http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/video-this-is-how-a-bad-rod-big-end-bearing-sounds-like.89457/

I can not see that my cranks have those washers. The dis assembled 500 one is say 1986 the intermediate variant. I have no washers and the cage is the thickness of the rod. The picture with two 500 cranks, the earlier is from air cooled and seems the first year water cooled to the left and the I guess 1987. The 87 one has a broken cage and since I can see the cage and no washer I assume it has none. The somewhat corroded 87-88 430 crank there is enough room to push the cage around might be enough room for washers but best as I can tell there are none. That is a 420 crank in the first picture looks similar to all the auto cranks in that it is much lighter.

I also notice the number 4 etched into the 430 crank perhaps this has to do with sizing the rollers.

I have one crank that is in a rideable bike that has a picture of an elephant on the rod, most likely a Cagiva replacement part. Any chance your rod is like that?

Edit: I see you state one washer. I see none on the 1988 exploded parts list but it shows the earlier rod shape.

86.500.crank.disassembled.jpg

87.or.88.430.crank.jpg

2.500.crank.jpg
  11. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thanks Frank

87 crank.jpg

It looks like it goes in the crank cheek before drive side crank end.