1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

420 auto

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by ct cr430, Mar 26, 2017.

1. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    A good friend of mine bought a 420 auto recently and since I'm not that familiar with the auto transmission I'm looking for info and help if needed . I'm not sure on where he'll have it delivered to , him or myself so not sure when I can start to check it out . It was listed as an 81/82 and by the serial numbers that's as close as we can get to the year right now . Are there differences between the 2 years to help determine the correct year ? As for the auto trans , what should I beware of and /or should be checked before riding this bike ? I saw pictures saying bike should be at idle before engaging transmission , how critical is the idle speed setting ? Sounds like this is a 4 speed auto , am I correct ? I don't have the bike yet , just trying to get a jump on research and information . Thanks in advance .
  2. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

3. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Thank you , I've been searching through the threads that I found and I will read these incase I did miss them . Sometimes hard to find correct answers if you don't ask the correct question . I'm sure I'll be looking for more info once I know more about this bike .
  4. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

yes it is a 4 speeds.
    You must check idle to engage at low idle.
    Check the freewheels.
    Change oil motor every good riding . The best oil seems to be univis HVI 26.
    Check shoes with good grooves.
    Put a spring cover on 1st clutch drum.

Attached Files:

5. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Set idle low enough before clutch engages ? Again thanks .
  6. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    How much oil in transmission ? Or is it marked on case ?
  7. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    It should be about 1 litre. Change it after every ride. (a day's worth of riding)
  8. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    Set the idle the lowest you physically can get away with . Bordering on stalling . Other wise you grind a pair of dogs together everything you engage and dis engage it
  9. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    There is an oil level screw in the left hand cover, change the oil often, I don't go longer than 3 to 4hours , fit a cover to the 1st gear springs, there is a chap selling them on ebay if you can not make one yourself. As low tick over as you can manage before engaging gear.
    Engine/ transmission wise I do not believe there is any difference in the 420 years, the earlier 360/390 are quite different in the detail.
    For a manual you should find a link on Café somewhere but be aware one of the 420 manuals is actually for a 390!
    Good luck
  10. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Thanks everyone , looking forward to trying this bike . Are there any changes between 81 and 82 on this bike ? Anyway to confirm the year or doesn't really matter ?
  11. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Bring it over I will check it out for you. There is an ae and an axc you should find that discussion in the past threads. Other than that it is not really important what year it is. The AE is lower. they both have the 35mm forks and conical rear hub 17 inch rim but not a Nordsk rim. Single leading shoe brakes. One has piggy back shock gold on top and the other has the reservoir on the end of a hose. Just a few pieces from inside the engine seem to be worth about as much a whole one. I think all things considered it is the best auto choice. At least of what was imported. Dangerous, can get a lot of inertia built up in the rear wheel and not know it. If you twist it like a fool it might jump after you have backed off.
  12. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Thanks , I just may take you up on that , just have to get the bike first .