1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

420 auto , need advice /help

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by ct cr430, Jun 23, 2017.

1. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    My friend bought an 81/82 auto and had it shipped to my house so i could check it out before bringing it up to Vt for our ride weekend . i was able to get it going at home but really nowhere to test it before bringing it up to him . So this weekend is our ride weekend and am having a problem with the 420 . Yesterday i had it running for a little while , seemed ok . The problem we're having is kick starting it , as it seems like the kickstarter is not catching . while at my house in Ct , every once in a while trying to kick start it the kicker would just go thru the stroke and not catch but if i started to kick slowly it would catch and start . Same thing yesterday , slipped 1st kick , 2nd kicker staid caught and fired right up . i was able to ride it for a little while to warm it up before changing the trans fluid as the bike was sitting for a while before he bought it .
    The fluid that came out was red in color and replaced with 1200 cc of spectro very light suspension fluid . this is the closest i could find to the recomended transmission oil .it caught at first but now kickstarter doesn't seem to want to catch at all . So is there anything i could try while i'm still up in Vt and not have to bring the bike back to Ct and work on it at home ? So not being that familiar with the auto's , I'm looking for suggestion and advice . Could it just need to clean the kickstart assembly since it has been been sitting . Haven't pulled the side cover yet , if i can possibly fix the problem up here i will , just want to know what to expect first .
  2. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    75,82,83,2x84,85,3x86,87,88 and 89
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    Sounds like a bad freewheel bearing.
  3. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yes, it must the freewheel on 1st drum.
    There are 2 different freewheel on 420 depending of the year.

HPIM0547 - Copie.JPG

Or
    Freewheel primaire -1-.JPG
    420 Freewheel primaire -2-.JPG
  4. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    It will be the freewheel bearing on the crankshaft hopefully the crank shaft has not worn as well otherwise that will need to be replaced as well. You might find yet another type of freewheel set up which is the same as the 360/ 390, I have all 3:excuseme: in my bikes and parts!!
  5. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    ct cr430 likes this.
  6. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    So this morning I went and tried it , now the engine is turning over while pushing the kickstarter through by hand . Could this be gummed up due to no use for a while ? We haven't tried to start it yet today but will a little later in the day . If this bearing needs to be replaced would the kickstarter work at all ? When it does catch it seems to be fine , like all or nothing . When it catches , it doesn't seem to slip at all .
  7. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    75,82,83,2x84,85,3x86,87,88 and 89
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    Thats what happens, starts to not grab here and there and can result in shaft damage.
    Its best to change them on the first sign of slipping.
  8. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    Yea that's how one way bearings are . Look at every honda farm quad . They work . They intermittent. They not work . If you give a shit about it replace it . They do not ever get better on their own
  9. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    definition of insanity...continuing to do a failing task:mad: ....in the hope there will be a different outcome:thinking:
  10. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Well sounds like I'll have to replace it , oh well . At least it's not my money , just my time and aggravation . It's nice to spend someone else's money . Yup , I heard the definition of insanity before . Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results . Anyway the auto's in my trailer heading back home as I'm reading this hoping to have it ready for a return trip to Vt . Any idea on availability of this bearing or is it a hard to locate part ? Haven't even started to look for 1 yet . My friend was very impressed with the 420 auto , he calls it his cheater bike because it was so easy to ride and this is from someone who has been a Maico rider for about the last 40 or so years .
  11. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Thanks for that link stormer254 , unfortunately for me it's been a long time since I've spoke Swedish . Was able to pick out some of the words but most of the words , not yet at this time but I'll keep trying . Going to clean up the bikes today as they are a muddy mess . Hopefully I'll start looking at the auto soon .
  12. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    Google chrome does a very good translation, that is what I use, it will translate the document in one go.
  13. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    I'll have to try that , thanks.
  14. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    unfortunately for me it's been a long time since I've spoke Swedish

just give"Inga" a call, im sure she will sort you out...:lol:
  15. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Update , we had our ride this past weekend and was able to work on the auto . Replaced the 1st gear Sprague bearing and springs while I was in there . So far so good , it's been kicking over consistently . He loves his "cheater bike "! Thanks for the help . Sorry it took so long to update but bike was 300 miles from me , this was first chance to work on it .