1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

420 ae fork oil

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by ct cr430, Feb 9, 2018.

1. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Hi all , just replaced fork seals on an 81/82 ae 420 and I'm looking for the amount of fork oil in each fork leg . These are 35mms forks and appear to have 10 to 11 inches of travel . I've tried searching thru posts looking for an answer but I guess I just haven't found the correct search yet . Bike is ridden by a 200 lbs 60 plus year old expert on a natural terrain track without any big jumps .(yet ) Trying to get it ready for my buddy .
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    What the amount of oil in the fork tube does is set the amount of air above the oil. I would go about five inches below the top with the forks compressed. Probably easier to take the springs out to pour the oil in and see the level. I think George/Uptite has comment along these lines perhaps not the exact model or year. Adjust from there if you choose and make notes. I do not recall how much I put in that is more work, having to pour the oil into a graduated cylinder and then into the fork. A quart or liter bottle will be enough for both forks.
    ct cr430 likes this.
  3. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Thanks Fran , that's a good start . Trying to get close from the start hoping someone is close to my buddy and give me a good starting point . I'm hoping to get close enough that he's happy . What I don't want to do is put in too much and have the forks hydraulic lock before using all the travel .
  4. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    250cc per leg if the forks were dry. 240cc per leg if you just drained the oil.

Marty
    ct cr430 likes this.
  5. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Thanks Marty , forks were cleaned carefully inside . Is there a min / max ? By the way , think my buddy bought some parts from you , we used the master cylinder already as the one in use failed .
  6. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    Glad I could help with the mastercylinder.
    As far as min/max on the for oil I would just start with the 250cc per leg and if you need to add any which I don't think you will you can add 5cc at a time just by removing the plastic center fork cap. If you need to take any out suck it out with a syringe like you can get at a pet supply store.

Marty
  7. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Already have a 60cc syringe that I use when I want / need to be precise . Takes more time but better than guessing .