1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

40mm forks

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by flamepainter78, Mar 28, 2010.

1. flamepainter78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi, I put my 40mm forks on today. how far out of the triple clamp on top do you guys start with 1" 1.5" ect. Thanks Doug.
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I suppose most of the riders here are track oriented and experiment with things like how far to stick out the fork tubes. I geneally put them flush across the top. Upon measuring the distance the distance from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender it came out close to the 11.8 inches or so listed in the manual for fork travel. I would suggest making sure the wheel doesn't contact the fender before going an inch or so. An o ring, sting or zip tie on the fork tube to see how far the forks actually compress is common. I believe there is an 1983 owners manual on here you might download and see if there is a paragraph or two about this.

Fran
  3. HuskyT Moderator

I have heard that you can check your height by letting the forks go all the way down and then checking to make sure tire is not hitting... Kindof like what Fran is saying... then play with it to see where it feels best...

Putting the tubes flush would definitely rake it out .. would be great for a high speed track but poor for a track with tight turns.

T
  4. mr stainless Husqvarna
    A Class

personally i'm a short arse and so mine stick through as far as i can ...
  5. NFG Husqvarna
    AA Class

Standard set-up for me on almost all my bikes is to lower the front as much as posible. I love a bike that will turn hard and give me the best traction it can. It is a trade off sometimes between tank slappers vs quick turn in. Personal taste. Husky will be set up that way as soon as I change my fork seals and oil. She weeps right now so I will be getting on it sooner than later.