1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

390 Wr Restoration

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Rick60, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Rick60 Husqvarna
    AA Class

After an attack of nostalgia I picked up this little beauty about a month ago. I've been making some progress finding missing parts and refurb-ing the parts that are there. I've been reading the posts on this site and I am pretty amazed at the wealth of info here about these old bikes.

Something I've been wondering about is why the rear brake pedal / rod / link is different on the WR than it is on the CR? $(KGrHqN,!hcE7Us5BVm2BO-c4P6bMQ~~60_12.jpg
  2. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

CR;s have a floating rear brake. The backing plate has a bushing to allow it to rotate and the brake stay attaches to the frame.
  3. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
  4. Rick60 Husqvarna
    AA Class

But why is it different? Why did they go to the trouble of making different parts.
  5. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

The floating backing plate does not apply torque to the swingarm when the brakes are applied. In turn it allows the rear suspension to move freely while braking. Why the CR's and not the XC's and WR's, you got me?
    I rode an 83 250XC for years and truthfully can't feel the difference.
  6. Puckerbush Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '79 390 CR and '08 TE510
    It looks like a '79 or '80 because of the airbox. If the frame number begins with "MM" its a '79 and if it's "MN" its a '80. You can find a lot of the missing parts on Ebay.