1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Austria - About 2014 & Newer
    FE = 4st Enduro & FC = 4st Cross

FE/FC 2016 FE501S fuel injection questions

Discussion in '4st' started by mt92, Mar 5, 2017.

1. mt92 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamahas
    I just purchased a brand new leftover 501s. I plan to ride the rocky mountains allot this summer and from what I understand this bikes EFI does not auto adjust for altitude. I had a dealer tell me he recommended the stock tune for high elevation.
    What can I buy for it so it will take care of itself?

Thanks
    Mike
  2. Teeszy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 SM510R , 2016 FE501S
    I might be misinformed but I believe that's the major benefit of EFI (to adjust to conditions automatically, unlike carb'd models). I have read that if you start the bike and let it idle for 5 whole minutes without touching the throttle or anything then the ECU will adjust for temp, elevation, and humidity levels.
    Try it, seat of the pants difference would be the biggest tell tale as to whether or not this procedure has any effect. Peace
  3. mt92 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamahas
    I spoke with a dealer at the races yesterday and he said they do not compensate for altitude. He mentioned they have a large happy spot so in general they get away with it. I was thinking a power commander with auto tune????
  4. ridgerunner1061 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2016 FE 501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 Vulcan 900 2010 WR250r
    The stock ECU handles altitudes just fine. I have taken my 501s from the Mojave desert to the 9,000 ft mark with no problem. Just be prepared to have the radiator fan running most of the time when you are climbing.
    It's a great bike and you should have lots fun riding around Colorado.
  5. Throttle on Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 fe501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Wr 250r 94Kx 500, Xr650r
    Your bike will run great at altitude! Stock these bikes are tuned on the lean side especially the highway going versions. Your bike likely may actually run better at the elevations you speak of than at sea level.
  6. Throttle on Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 fe501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Wr 250r 94Kx 500, Xr650r
    If you are in the Colorado Springs area this summer hit up Jeff Slavens at Slavens racing. Pay him a visit. He would be stoked to talk to you and has quite a bit of experience tuning both carbureted and EFI bikes for high elevation. He has got a great online catalog and informational videos on the Internet.
  7. mt92 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamahas
    Jeff ported my last KTM300. I would love to look him up. I have my TPS set to .62V and all else is stock. What should I change first?
  8. KennyMc Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE 501-S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '17 KTM 300XC-W
    Best thing to do is to get the EU offroad map installed (part# KM796EU17G0201) and then play with the TPS. If your local dealer won't do it, send the ECU off to Munn Racing....