1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Austria - About 2014 & Newer
    FE = 4st Enduro & FC = 4st Cross

FE/FC 2016/17 Battery replacement FC/FX450?

Discussion in '4st' started by R. Stephen, Feb 6, 2017.

1. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Anyone find a good replacement for the 2016/17 450 bikes? My 2016 FS450 battery is garbage and super tiny impossible to find a replacement. Ice riding my 2017 FX450 I need to Jump start every time out, even if I do Husqvarna's silly Battery warm up procedure. Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

looks like two options:

http://earthxbatteries.com/shop/ETX12A

http://shoraipower.com/lfx14l2-bs12-p78
  2. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Sorry haven't owned your bikes but the earthx was great on the te250 and txc449. Cranked quick even when cold
  3. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Try to cross your battery box over to a 17 TE one. Bout $13 bux.
    Just unbolt and unsnap.
    Then get size of the larger TE Battery.
    Go shopping for battery with more cranking volts.
    Your done!

I converted my sons 16 FC 250 battery box to 17 TE 150 box.

Everything matches up for mounting his sensors to it, etc....

Only other option? Is Western Power Sports make a good replacement one.
    Hall's is using it. But if you do conversion there are more voltage options.
  4. PawPaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Crf450R + old CB750
    Shora is what I have been using in my TC449 2013. It works great and has been in the bike for almost 3 years now.

Paw Paw
  5. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    I went earthX after my Shorai gave up at just over a year old.

Replacement under warranty would've cost me more than half the original price, so I went with earthX. No problems, since.
  6. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    I have a more than 3 year old Shorai in my BMW G450X that is still going strong and it sits for months on end and doesn't get ridden. Always cranks no matter how long it sits.

I installed a Tusk Racing Lithium battery in my '15 FE 501. It cost under $100.00 has been working great since last summer when I pulled the stock lead acid battery out.

It spins the motor over just as fast when its 35 degrees as it does when its 100 degrees. It hasn't let me down yet. I have never plugged it in to 1 of my Battery Tender's either.

Since I'm running a Rekluse 3.0 EXP clutch now I can't take any chances.

Quite often, I start it in gear too when riding and lots of the time I don't even have to pull the clutch lever in.

It doesn't have any hesitation starting the Big bore in gear even with the added drag of not disengaging the clutch lever with the Auto Clutch.

272355161574_1.jpg
    MotoXImage likes this.
  7. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks for the input, my Shorai batteries have done me well in the past but figured I would ask since it's not much bigger than stock. I may need to try the TE battery box. Thanks!
  8. Throttle on Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 fe501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Wr 250r 94Kx 500, Xr650r
    Dont let the small size of shorai batteries fool you. The replacement Shorai for your bike will have close to double the cranking amps and double the amp hour storage as your stock battery! I replaced the stock battery in my FE 501 when the bike was brand new because the stock battery turned over the starter in a sluggish manner even when engine was warm. Have your Husqvarna dealer or aftermarket parts supplier match the size of your stock battery with the recommended Shorai replacement. Shorai has a cross reference application chart your dealer will use to select the right battery. The Shorai will be much smaller than your stock battery and they come with a foam kit to fill the void so your new battery fits snug in your battery box. I have used these in several of my motorcycles so many I have lost track at least 5 i know of. I recently sold a WR250R yamaha with a six year old Shorai. It still worked flawlessly. most lead acid bike batteries will only last two years max if exposed to extreme temeratures and use. Shorai has an awesome replacment and pro rate warranty. My dealer registers mine on line so I will have no future problems. I have never had a problem with SHORAI. They are super light weight preform way better than stock lead acid batteries twice their size and my favorite feature is that if you fudge and drain your battery completely they recover with out damage unlike a lead acid battery. The one in my fe 501s was 150 $ at the Husky shop.
    MotoXImage likes this.
  9. Throttle on Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 fe501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    That's really odd your Shorai took a dump so soon. I have had them last over 5 years without fail even with prolonged exposure to extreme temperatures and use. My dealer would give me a new one if it only lasted one year. They do treat me well for being a 15 year loyal customer. Any lithium Ion batt has got to be better than a lead acid type. Its superior technology.
  10. Throttle on Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 fe501s
    Other Motorcycles:
  11. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    Yes, I was really disappointed, as it was a great battery while it worked.

It seems hit and miss. Many people have no problems with them, others have the same experience I did, possibly not as quickly.
  12. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I've had a "Shorai" battery in my G450X for about 3 1/2 years or longer now.
    It has never failed to spin the bike over even after sitting for months at a time.
    I don't even ride this bike myself anymore and it starts right up with the "Shorai" any time I want to run the engine yet we have been told on here they die after about a year of service more than once. That being said.
    I have really never had to charge it from it going dead on its own and it only occasionally gets plugged into a cheap $16.00 "Cycle Gear" tiny battery maintainer. Still going strong after more than 3 1/2 years.

So when it came time for another battery for my Harley about 2 years ago. I spent over $350.00 for the biggest size Earth X battery they sell to put into my 2010 FLTRX Roadglide Harley. I have to leave it plugged into a "Battery Tender" all the time to maintain the Voltage. I have a few "Battery Tender" brand maintainers and I have swapped them back and forth to see if it would have any affect..

The bike has no alarm that could be a drain on the battery, it sits covered in a car port in AZ weather. Winter will get cold at nights and come down to about 25 to 30 degrees max. maybe 3 or 4 times each winter. However it seldom gets too cold to still ride it here. If I don't keep it plugged into the Battery Tender all the time it will just go dead on its own and drop below the 9 volt range and shut itself off. Then it needs to be charged back up with a larger output Battery Charger or jumped after it goes dead on its own after sitting less than a month.

Maybe I need to ride it everyday to keep it working. I don't know. Lately it seems every time I want to do that its low or actually dead. The lead acid battery would require about the same effort to keep it charged in the exact same conditions and weather for those 2 years. Except It wouldn't shut itself off which would require a booster pack jumper to reflash the battery to turn itself back on again.

So although the Earth X battery spins it over very quickly when its charged and I get a substantial weight savings. Which doesn't mean much on a 800 lb Hog.

The Earth X battery has been more of a headache than the lead acid replacements I would put in my Harleys every 2 years. The seat comes off more often then ever before to jump the battery directly at its terminals or to hook up a pair of larger alligator clip on the battery.

I even went so far as to cut away the plastic battery cover on the bike to get to those terminals easier because of the frequency of having to do this more often.

That's why I bought the Lithium Tusk battery for the FE 501. I doubt I will ever buy another Earth X from anybody.
    MotoXImage likes this.
  13. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    That's weird, Big Timmy. You should put a meter on it, in series, to ensure you don't have a current drain issue.

EarthX should lose only a small amount over a lengthy period, as should any lithium battery. How long after owned it did you notice this happening? It sounds like it could also be a warranty claim.

The problem with the Shorai is that once it drops below a certain charge, you can't charge it. There's no way to reset its internal protection. They also claim over discharging your Shorai could void your warranty.
  14. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    It started doing this pretty much right away if the bike sits for periods of time. The 2 wire pigtail for a charger lead was installed at the time of its installation. The battery actually sat in the box on a shelf at my house in the wash room for about 4 months and after that it didn't need charging once I put it in the bike.

There is no current drain. I have checked the electrical system. The bike only has 18000 miles, has the anti theft system that the keys fob must be near the bike to activate the Ignition switch. But no alarm, so nothing really there to cause a current drain. No supplemental added on wiring.
    Just saying it hasn't been much of an upgrade. It may very well last a lot longer but it never did any worse with the lead acid batteries.
    MotoXImage likes this.
  15. MotoXImage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 XR 400

If the 15 FE 501 uses the same battery as the 17 FE 350 then it's an upgrade over the OEM which uses the Skyrich Battery HJTZ5S-FP which is 120 cca but about 6oz less. For anyone thats considering going lithium you need to know that a lithium phosphate battery only smokes to destruction when it's overcharged, a lithium cobalt will ignite on fire. FWIW, a friend bought a 2017 Beta 500 RS and it's Antigravity Battery has failed in the first 3 weeks. He's using my old Shorai from my TE310 until his new battery comes in. Hm, I think Beta is making great strides but I would expect the shop he bought it from to offer a replacement and deal with Antigravity instead of making the customer deal with Antigravity directly which requires him to ship the battery and wait for them to ship out a replacement. All the more reason I'm considering getting the battery you listed as a backup or even a replacement for the new battery in my 2017 FE 350. I live in a cold climate so the extra 30cca is probably worth 6oz of prevention.
  16. sl00thy Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    15 fc450 / 17 fx350 / 14 350xc-f
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 bmw r1200rt / 73 bmw r75
    i have earth x in both my fx350 and fc450 and amazin how light and powerful they are.
  17. MyersAvionics Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 KTM 450XC-F
    instead of starting a new thread on the same subject, I figured this would be a good home as well. My 17's OEM lithium battery looks like it has 150CCA's, but like the original poster, I have issues getting the bike started quickly all the time. It is very important to get it lit quickly after it's warm for harescramble starts. This past race I was near dead last and it just stinks working your way through the pack while the guys you should be racing with are pulling a lead on ya.

The only battery I've seen with more CCA's is Shorai's LFX14A2-BS12, which as 210 CCA's so a good 40% increase. Curious if there's any other batteries out there that are a bit stronger or if 210 would be sufficient.
  18. MyersAvionics Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 KTM 450XC-F
    As an update, I ordered an Antigravity Battery (PN YTZ7-8) as it has 240 CCA's so 60% more than OEM. I'm not sure I'd go anymore as I'm not sure of the in-rush current limitations of the starting system.
    Throttle on and MotoXImage like this.
  19. MotoXImage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 XR 400
    Antigravity is a big seller. Should do well for you. I prefer Shorai simply because it has probably the best reputation for reliability. As for your start problem. What temps is your bike running? From what I've heard a bike idle has a huge impact on it's starts.
    Throttle on likes this.
  20. Throttle on Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 fe501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    That battery should treat you well.