1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Austria - About 2014 & Newer
    FE = 4st Enduro & FC = 4st Cross

FE/FC 2015 fe 350 oil questions

Discussion in '4st' started by nep2012, Apr 29, 2015.

1. nep2012 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 te 310
    Just bought a 2015 FE 350 and picked up 2 quarts of Bel Ray Synthetic Ester 10W-50 Thumper per dealer and manual. I noticed the oil change schedule was 1 hour, then 3 hours then every 15 hours. Is this 1 hour change very important? I plan on riding this Sunday and we go on 100 mile loops usually a 4-5 hour day. Should I ride it before then and get the hour in and change the oil before my 100 mile Sunday ride?
  2. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    That first hour is a big one IMHO. I'd ride it around your house in the yard or street for an hour then change the oil. These motors are super tight and you need to follow the schedule to get the best results.
    MotoXImage likes this.
  3. nep2012 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 te 310
    Thanks for the info I will take your advice these bikes are expensive to buy and fix if they break.
  4. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    10W50 is too heavy, we suggest either M1 0W40 or T6/Torco 5W40.
  5. diggs345 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Fe 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas gas ec300 race , aprilia rsv1000
    i found a needle roller atatched to the magnetic sump plug , on inspection it came from the clutch hub bearing , how it got out of there baffles me , there wasn't a mark on it or the bush.
  6. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

So we now don't go by the manufacturer's oil recommendations. Got it. Why Tinken all do respect.
    MotoXImage likes this.
  7. endurocrotts Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 Husqvarna FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco 2.9, 2014 BMW 1200 GSW
    I would like some info on that one too. Seems like a good way to void the factory warrenty.
  8. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    No worries, I answer this question all the time. The heavier oil will push the oil pressure up, which on many KTM's has collapsed the oil filters. At start up temperatures, most of this higher pressure oil just flows past the bypass back to the crankcase anyway. The lower viscosity oil still allows for plenty of oil pressure, even when raced hard in hot weather and will increase your flow to vital parts of that engine, especially the rod bearing which is critical. High flow, high bearing separation, high cooling, race tested.

Just as I recommended stainless steel oil filters to the KTM reps, I also recommend them to you. My KTM race bike was originally designed for 10W30. I use twin SS filters and 0W40. As with all of the race bikes here at ZipTy, we use either M1 0W40, T6 5W40 or SR5-5 5W40. Most KTM teams I know of use T6, regardless of what is printed on the outer bottle.
    ride200mi likes this.
  9. bikesparky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Superduke 1290
    Just wanted to add my two cents and I'm not arguing here, as you have a valid point Tinken, just adding new information which came up recently.

It seems that the collapsed oil filter issue is indeed and oil pressure issue. Following recent issues with the 1290 superduke engine the problem seems to arise from a stuck pressure regulator valve (commonly know as bypass valve) in the engine. A few engines had the filter and the metal filter screens collapsed and some have had as a results damage to the engine due to oil starvation. One engine had the oil pressure so high it leaked everywhere.
    Another engine came right after fresh filter and oil and while starting up a bang was heard, which in my opinion was the plunger of the bypass valve freeing itself. Either the tolerances on this part are too tight or a too heavy spring is used.
    My personal opinion is that the tolerances are too tight as some engines run fine with whatever oil and never have any problems.
    As usual nothing is confirmed neither denied by KTM.
    Some pics here and information. http://superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25023
    ride200mi likes this.
  10. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Thanks Sparky, I hadn't seen the issue on the duke before, only on the 350-501's. Never the less, that was a pretty good read. You're right, KTM is secretive like the CIA. The filters aren't my main concern though. My point being more of flow characteristics. Even at normal temperatures around 300°F, we actually double the flow across the bearings switching from 50W to 40. Even 40W is pretty heavy, like I said, plenty to keep the oil pressure high at higher temps. I've gotten about 8000 race miles out of my 525 and probably 6k out of the '04. With good flow, these newer engines last a very long time.
    ride200mi likes this.
  11. endurocrotts Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 Husqvarna FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thank you for your reply Mr. Tinken. At what intervals do you recommend oil changes using T-6? Also please explain the cleaning procedure of the SS filter if you would please.
  12. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    300-500 miles. I spray my SS oil filters with brake cleaner first, then wash in hot soapy water. I use compressed air to dry them, spraying from the inside > outward. Filter lasts the life of the bike.
    ride200mi likes this.
  13. endurocrotts Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 Husqvarna FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    Now for my next question. Which brand of SS filter do you recommend?
  14. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
  15. Weantright Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2019 FX350 w/KYB Inserts
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 FE250 w/OC, 2016 XTrainer w/KYB
    What PN (SS filter) for the 2014 FE250?
  16. dfriz Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FC 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    1200 Aprilia Dorsoduro
    Do I use 167 for my 350 FC?
  17. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    2014-2015 FE250 and FC/FE350 use same PC167
  18. cbr929 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 350 2016 TE 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 Honda cbr929 1999 Ducati 750
    M1 0-40w is automotive oil?
  19. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    Kool-Aid and ss filter. Shhhh.... Don't tell marketing we are using their car oil and pay $25 for 5 QT's. :thumbsup:

[IMG]
  20. cbr929 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 350 2016 TE 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 Honda cbr929 1999 Ducati 750
    automotive oils have friction modifiers - which one doesn't want in motorcycle (on clutches) when noted on the round circle energy conservative etc. Does that pass/exceed Jaso?
    MotoXImage likes this.