2015 450 MX shootout...

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Motosportz, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  2. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Hmmm sounds highly suspect. :cool: How can two bikes with very little difference and the exact same front forks "feel" so different. They bitch about the plastic subframe, but their scale says it's 5 pounds heavier? Did someone leave a stack of cash or 12 pack of energy drinks on the scale during the Husky weigh in? Then they stuck the RM between them, like hmmm REALLY?

Articles like these just re-enforce my decision to stop subscribing to moto mags years ago. The only thing I agree with is the Yami is surely the best bang for the buck, and it's almost nice to see that they don't just think the most expensive bike is best. Also intersting is the Husky is like $150 more than the KTM and priciest of the group.

I dunno, these "testers" claim to have such refined abilities to rate bikes, but you never see them racing at anything near the top level. They probably go out for mani-pedis, nut waxes, and chai tea lattes after a "hard" day at the track.:busted:
  3. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    I called Ryno out on it a few years ago.... They had 7-8 ex-pros and they all picked the bike that they raced.... he got pissed off.... which i didn care but he knew i was right.... its really hard to do a test and pick a winner a true winner....

What works for you may not work for me.... everyone has different riding style and tastes.... I hate Yamaha ergonomics and handling.... Kawis are built cheap.... i like honda and suzukis but just dont want to do a crap load of work to be off road ready..... Like KTMs but way too many here.... leaves me with husky, beta, gasser and sherco....
    bigjon and robertaccio like this.
  4. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Humm take the e-start , battery, and throw in the new Factory KTM and it's then the lightest bike by 10 lbs or more ;). I place very little importance to what the mag testers have to say.
    racemx904 likes this.
  5. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Hey that's where the old Huskys placed. Guess the new one's are just as good as the old ones :)
  6. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    believe its kinda like all old KTMs and huskys.... remember they would have a whole list of things wrong with each bike, only thing wrong with the KTM was hard seat and couldnt fit 8" numbers... its last... LOL
    robertaccio and LandofMotards like this.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    They said right at the beginning all were VERY good bikes and closely matched and no real loser.
  8. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    hard seat and couldnt fit 8" .....................is that a bike test? OK sorry I couldn't help myself.
    FatDaddyMX likes this.
  9. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    No real loser? then why rank them.... just give the facts and opinions on what you felt.... but I agree everyone will have a different fav
  10. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Robert I will look and find that test.... is was MXA I believe and it was when KTM first went to the smaller sidepanels....
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Meaning they are very closely matched and it probably comes down to what the pilot likes.
  12. rappster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tc449 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    rmz250
    What they need to do is switch the plastic on all brands and see who wins
    I bet anyone the outcome would be different
    shawbagga and PC. like this.
  13. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
  14. PJW Husqvarna
    AA Class

I read the tests and agreed with alot of what was said. My Husqvarnas airbox is airtight. It's forks are grim. And the Yamahas I have ridden do have great suspension. My KTM/Husky dealer is the difference to me.
  15. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Pretty amazing how much like a paper magazine and a magnifying glass that link is.

It doesn't say the husky would come in last in a race, kind of says the husky rider would be the last one to finish suspention adjustments.

It does a good job (seems anyway) listing the model year changes to the various options. I would like to have that article be the whole magazine or a much more detailed.

It explains to some degree what sort of control/adjustability $200 buys with the Yamaha to tailor the engine management to one's liking. If available, how much, and what they do for the others is absent or I skimmed over them.
  16. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Before I bought my TE 511 I read a review or two (okay, as many as I could find). One guy (a so called world renowned tester and racer) said he got on it and within 30 yards on the MX track he decided it wasn't any good. So he turned around and rode it back and hopped off with it still rolling. Sounds like he had a tantrum about being forced by his sponsors to test a bike he didn't want to. Bottom line, he said, he wouldn't recommend anyone buy these -- they're no good.

In another 5 paragraph review, one guy mentioned how bad the tires were 7 times. He said the bike is slow and under-powered because the tires suck and the rear-end won't hook-up. The bike corners badly because the tires suck. The bike can't climb hills because the tires suck and there is no traction. The bike has bad dual-sport road manners, because the tires suck. His conclusion, without changing out the tires and giving the bike a fair chance, don't buy one of these, there are much, much better bikes out there.

I'm glad I listened to the actual user reviews. Sure my bike had some issues when it was brand new. But without spending too much money, I've got them all sorted out. I wouldn't trade my 511 for any bike.
    Motosportz and LandofMotards like this.
  17. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    The FC450 came in last because of it's suspension. A tuned, well working suspension will make any bike feel thirty pounds lighter and the 4CS suspension is just awful. We race the FC450, with Marzocchi Shivers, not 4CS. And not only is it sporty fast, its 5 speed transmission is solid, 30% stronger than the 6 speed Jap bikes. For non-dual sport riding, I like it, it is my favorite of the new bikes so far.
    robertaccio likes this.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Just got my dirtrider mag, full shootout on the 250Fs. KTM and husky tie for last. Reason weight and... FORKS!!! They nicely said they hated the forks and they has a very narrow range of adjustment.
  19. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Sounds familiar :D.
  20. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class