2014 Tecate Enduro........6DEC....

Discussion in 'Racing' started by robertaccio, Jun 13, 2014.

1. knevo Husqvarna
    A Class

Trav and Sara have been riding down in Baja with me for a couple years now, it has got to the point that trav is usually in the front. Not really surprised at all he did so well. I think he is a little disappointed with his results, but 21st overall? That's pretty bad ass!
    I have been telling Jake about this place for years now, so glad he commited this year, he was back quite a ways from trav on the first loop, but I guess there were some pretty good bottlenecks on loop 2. This is were jake really shines. I have been in races with Jake in the northwest were I have witnessed jake work a bottleneck. I have never seen anyone get through them faster! When he went to Erzberg with Don last June, that was the one thing I had hoped jake could help Don with was the bottlenecks, but even a pro rider like Don can not do what Jake can in that situation. I learned at last years hare scramble not to go around those bottlenecks, as the trees/bushes are like penetrating a wall! I think Trave learned that lesson this year.
    Also very glad that Tim came along, although he houred out, along with the masses, I hope that he enjoyed it enough to come along again for next years HS.
    We originally had about 8 riders, but only 3 made the sign up cutoff. Once again, very glad for the club to see them have such an epic event!
    robertaccio and Motosportz like this.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Sorry missed that.
  3. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    with the standard HS on the 2015 agenda, that makes it a less of a race chore. its easier to combine it into an upper Baja trail tour type vacation. bajabound adventures specializes in doing that sort of thing for example.
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    SoCal/Tecate trail stuff from experience when skirting bottle necks choose wisely like anywhere not to find a hidden rock or too thick brush, but if you see a big dead manzanita in front of you, just get all tuck down NFL like and blast into the thing, the wood is very hard and will shatter. You can rip a path through stuff your mind thought was impregnable. Of course best to take a pause and really assess your path rather than getting all screwed up and taking more time and energy to get through.
    Just be careful when bush whacking----
    [IMG]
    Norman Foley and Motosportz like this.
  5. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Nice! That Doma and Lectron sound like they work well.
    robertaccio and Norman Foley like this.
  7. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes Cyril (FRA) has the VW camper, I slept in the pop up, he missed the cut off at near 90 miles in... he was on his Beta 300RR with horn (an item I am going to add to my machine!!). Nice job on the finish!! @ a 1/3 finish rate!! Jakes WR144 Husky is super smooth as I could hear on his viddys, he uses a Doma pipe with a Lectron carburetor, thing just sounds soo clean all the time. Being Italian Huskys and non-current good examples can be had for pennies on the dollar. Good seeing you down there!
    Norman Foley likes this.
  8. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    That's why I don't ride a 300.....:busted:
    Motosportz likes this.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Do a 165 husky, much more forgiving than the 144 IMHO. The 144's can have quite a hit where the 165 can be very linear and easy to use.

Nice effort and what a cool first race!!!
    robertaccio likes this.
  10. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Your bike issue was discovered today. A small screw in the carb came loose...(red loctite on it now). I believe it was connecting the slide to the throttle. George spent a while eliminating other issues by doing leak-sown and checking spark.
    Hard to believe that screw would vibrate loose. George said he'd never seen it.... image.jpg
  11. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Mike brought bike by on way home. Said was running great and just shut off.
    Bizarre is an understatement.
    Pull plug big fat blue spark (like too good) like old points ign style big and fat.
    Swapped all ign components gen,ecu, coil,spark plug no go.
    Mike along with couple sweep riders checked the jets all good in Baja.
    Put gas down plug hole still nothing.
    Did dif comp check today 100/98 perfect.
    Figured check carb again pulled return cable off normal, when removing pull cable it snapped back, Throttle shaft moved to the RH side sticking out.
    Removed top of carb the screw that holds the throttle shaft had come out, sitting on top of slide. No trace of loctite on screw.
    Have never seen this happen before so learned something new today. Will start checking as never had to before.
    Fired right up runs great.
    Later George
  12. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    wow super bizarre especially from an FCR, those things are pretty much bullet proof in every manner of assembly and set up!!!
    PS I have removed that screw while doing a full disassembly and clean up on my TXC450 41mm Keihin FCR, I could swear the OEM did have thread lock on it and I most certainly locktited it. 1st time for all things mechanical, one time means it can happen again!! Sorry for the DNF and not even a chance to ride to hour out.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Those old school carbed bikes are so unreliable ha ha ha

Once a screw becomes even slightly loose vibrations will make it come all the way out. Seen this many times, main jets in the bottom of the bowl etc. My TE570 paint shaker needed attention about every 4 ride because the bolts were backing out due to vibration regardless of what you put on them. The thing was like a massive impact wrench. :) That bike would also sometimes (2x) cough and spit the carb right out of the intake boot! Was a great bike, huge power just have to like a good massage as you ride.
    LandofMotards and robertaccio like this.
  14. climberevan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none, yet
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 200, bmw 1100GS, more to come
    Thanks! I am running a Lectron on the 200 as well--it's pretty amazing. I have the 200's power valve set up for a pretty good hit, but I've not ridden a 144 so I can't say whether it's the same.

That race was definitely one of my best days on 2 wheels ever, and I've done some pretty cool stuff on bicycles & motorcycles. I'm not sure I'd enjoy a HS as much, though--being spaced out is what made it so enjoyable. The idea of fighting bar-to-bar with guys for the first turn just makes me frightened & doesn't sound fun.
  15. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Subject follow on. In addition to normal moto vibe frequencies this is a loaded/working screw subject to fore and aft loading while operating the throttle.
  16. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Evan F good on ya race number 61 vet class 16th oa 67 FIRST RACE!!! (2 spots behind me OA.......I expect you to beat this old guy next time for your 2nd race )

Evan, I fully agree here however you play your way, so many guys get all hyped at the HS and do battle out the gate, not thinking that they need to go hard/carefully for @3 hours. I always play my cards easy and avoid confrontations at the beginning, then settle in and start passing guys that have worn themselves out getting all hyper at the start!! Not saying don't get a good start just get a clean start, a few years back I found myself having the holeshot, I freaked out but just settled in and rode my own pace, helped me avoid bottle necks until I caught up to the row in front that left before us. Plan on coming back down for the '15 HS you will also have a blast!! The blast just doesn't last as long (the beat down is shorter) unless you Ironman it and race the Sportsman short course event then the Pro long course, that's good for about 5 hours of fun. Last year I that was @5 laps of the short course and 2 of the long course.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Thats why this old guy likes the ISDE format, it long but the traffic is reasonable.
    robertaccio likes this.
  18. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks George!

Anyone driving from SoCal to NorCal with room for a Beta 450? I will pay your gas, buy you lunch.

Second big congrats to all the finishers. Thanks to the lady on the KTM for checking on me trail side. Thanks for all the great vid posts.
    Motosportz and Xcuvator like this.
  19. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    "anyone driving to nor cal"?

I could bring it to Mammoth right after Christmas... 27th or so..will be there thru new years.

Maybe meet you in Reno if weather cooperates. Let me know.
  20. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    TemecuCoastie likes this.