1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2014 TE310 suspension too stiff

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by SLL, Oct 8, 2014.

1. SLL Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE310R
    2014 with 450 miles. Bike had only been lightly trail ridden for the first 350 miles but had my first chance to do a full ride last weekend. Two 50 mile loops of steep, rocky, roots, sharp edged Singletrack. Mostly first and second gear stuff.

Compression and rebound are adjusted as plush as possible and the bike seemed way to stiff. Had 3 guys ride it as well and all said the suspension seemed harsh. It seemed OK on the faster stuff but in the slow, sharp edge stuff, it was really harsh.

Stock suspension. 180 pound without gear. Sag is set properly and I am just within the range of the spring. I would have thought that I was on the heavy end of the springs so it would feel soft but it never seemed to use the full range of the suspension. I even tried to bottom it a few times and was not even close.

Is something wrong with my stock suspension?
    How to make it plush?
  2. LAHuskyrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    1983 Maico 490, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W
    I have a 2013 TE310R and the stock forks were very brutal. Luckily, my local mechanic is pretty good with KYB as his son raced YZs in the woods for years. He revalved my forks and they are much better. IMO the only solution is a revalve. ZipTy knows these bikes well and if my local guy wasn't so good with KYB I probably would have sent them there. Once my forks were done, I was fine with the rear suspension but personally I like pretty stiff shock settings. Just my preference. I also out weigh you by 20 lbs and went up 2 steps on the rear shock spring rate(5.6-6.0).
  3. JAM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300
    Perhaps this is too much oil in the forks? I am 205# and feel the rear is plush- so your 25# difference in weight makes sense to be harsh.
  4. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    I am 195 with gear and Zip Ty changed fluid and springs for me . Really good now.
  5. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Many of the 2014 models came with closed cartridge Kyb's as part of the anniversary package. We can adjust them to be trail friendly once again.
  6. Chompychay Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha wr450f
    Does anyone know what size spring the stock fork spring and rear spring are?
    the Ractech recommendation seems to be a lot higher than expected. The suspension feels harsh as it is!
  7. Chompychay Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha wr450f
    I ride a 2013 TE310R as well with KYB fork.
  8. airrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310R's & 2014 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    3 Triumphs
    My '13 TE310 was extremely harsh at first, so I had RG3 soften it up twice. Still now, I'm only 2 clicks in on the compression and its perfect. The forks are totally capable of being plush. I also had RG3 install SKF seals on the second rework and that made a huge difference with compliance. I mainly ride rocks and roots and logs and beat the piss out of the forks, rarely track style low-frequency bumps.
  9. PawPaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Crf450R + old CB750
    I found the race tech spring rate guide to be way off on these and a few other bikes. They were showing the need for a 6.8 spring and what I ended up with was a 4.8.
    I strongly suggest you use Zip-Ty Racing to do your suspension. You will be impressed as I have been.

Paw Paw
    Tinken likes this.
  10. JAM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300
    Forks (18) CCW out from Full CW in for compression - lower leg adgust.
    Fork (15) CCW out from Full in on rebound - upper leg adjust.

Rear shock:
    Sag set 105mm
    Compression (15) CCW out from Full in.
    Rebound (18) CCW out from Full in.
    High speed rebound as stock.
  11. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    JAM I assume the sag is rider sag and not static. ?
  12. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

They are stiff when new and loosen up with use.

I ride rocks @ 200# and run my open chamber forks with Yamaha 01 oil and 125 mm on the level and they work good.
    Not super plush in rocks but good if you pick up the pace.
    They are fine in the sand.
  13. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Should be 5.0 rear and 4.5 kg front stock.

Most install a stiffer rear spring and a softer fork spring depending on weight.
  14. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    At 160lbs I've not even adjusted the springs on my 310. Backed off on one click of the compression on the forks is all. Sag looked OK when new generally speaking.
  15. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Set the forks per JAM (had to back out three clicks) and rode today. Very rocky with lots of washed out tracks. Big improvement! I don't think I am using much more than half the front travel though. Will put an O Ring on the left tube to see what I'm using. Probably have to go with a lighter spring for my trail use. Rear spring seems fine but haven't adjusted damping yet as I wanted to do one end at a time. Forks not plush on rocks but not sure I want them that soft on this bike. I had only one deflection today where before it was a regular occursance. Rear sprocket is 47 and don't want to go any smaller as 1st is just a tad tall. It lets me do sustained 65 mph when needed though so a good compromise. I have all the Zip Ty mods so no worries about frying the big end. The only thing left to do is tweak my custom side stand and get the HDB guards installed. Trail weapon!
    JAM likes this.
  16. JAM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300
    Yes
  17. 2wheeler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    72 Suzuki TS185
    My forks have definitely softened up after use. Gawd they were harsh at first. Got just over 200 miles on the clock now.

Got the rear spring loosened up as much as it will go without moving up and down on the shock while the wheel off the ground. (vertically challenged)

Compression (screw at top of shock?) is at 18 clicks out.

Do I need a different spring to get more foot on the ground? Forks shoved up in the clamps, shaved seat, lowering link. ughh still only tip toe.

Jam, I understand settings in clicks. What is CCW?
  18. JAM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300
    Counter Clock Wise form fully in Clock Wise.
  19. airrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310R's & 2014 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    3 Triumphs

Try a lowering link instead....my wife has one on her 310.
    http://www.koubalink.com/Husky HL8.html
  20. 2wheeler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    72 Suzuki TS185
    Duh thank you JAM. I should have seen that as I knew to turn counter clockwise.

Got a 1" Kouba, and a spare seat shaved.

WP_001046.jpg
    JAM likes this.