2014 Supermoto of Nations

Discussion in 'Super Moto' started by Theo, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    On October 12th, in Italy, there will be the SMoN.
    Usually I don't post anything about the European and World Championship because actually the pilots and the tracks are all European. I really dislike that; I'd like to watch races run in Europe but also in the other continents, with competitors from all over the World.
    This year, however, there will be an American team: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com..._McAllister_Monte_Frank_and_Johnny_Lewis.aspx
    AFAIR, in the past years the teams of the SMoN were all European, so, IMO that's an improvement.
    Since I know that American citizens are very proud of their country, I think that many of you could be interested in this race.
    The track is a sportbike track modified for supermotos: San Martino del Lago, not very far from my home; I spent an afternoon there and I can say that it's much faster than a go-kart track (my on-board video).
    Here it is:

There will be a 26 minutes video on this channel showing a summary of the race.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  2. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    The owner of the US series is team manager. Talent from Supermoto East Coast and AMA Pro Supermoto. Should be a good one. There were quite a few US riders doing it last year too.
  3. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    The video has come out:

And here are the results.
    I'm sorry that the American team hasn't got a good result, but for them it was the first time and it was on an unknown track. I hope to see them again the next year and to see other non-European teams, too.
    Mik-3 and LandofMotards like this.
  4. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Thank you for sharing the race. Overall i think team USA did well for their first year. The coolest part is that factory Aprilia gave them prototype supermotos. Some bike issues, crashes, different style track, and not to mention the European supermoto riders are just plain great. They didn't come in last, it was a good learning experience.
    Mik-3 and lankydoug like this.
  5. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    Very nice those two are fast
  6. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Not at all. :) Thank you and Teambowles for showing interest in this race!

IMO the Aprilia is a good choice in that fast track. I didn't know that they were factory protitipes; I thought that they were simply tuned MXVs.
    Anyway, take a look at this:

Ivan Lazzarini, the main Italian racer, attended the first edition of the SMoN and probably every edition until the latest. Or think about the winner team, France: it was definitely not the first time for them either! The coachs' experiences are important, too. Besides, consider that it's not a usual race: every competitor has a different team mate in each of the three runs. Being used to this way of racing is for sure useful.
    So, experience was required to handle the race. As you said, they've learned something. If they try again, they'll probably do better.
    Mik-3 and LandofMotards like this.
  7. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Crazy how much the track as changed. The dirt sections now are more motocross. Already looking forward to next year :) no doubt Italy does really well and look at France just taking all the nations races this year. You Italians will have more competition in a few years :)
  8. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Yep, and now they often race in tracks and seldom on roads.

The American team confirms what we wrote about his experience:

Here is an on-board of an hot lap:

The track record belongs to M. Hermunen, 1:14.121: http://mgmtiming.azurewebsites.net/... rider 3 - laptimes - 2014-10-12 17.36.13.pdf
    My best laptime is 1:48 :doh:.
    The average amateur with a 450 can do a lap in about 1:30.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  9. xlink Husqvarna
    AA Class

I actually did a supermoto school with Monte being the instructor a few years ago ... The class was 6-7 people and I learned a lot. Monte is a very cool and down to earth guy...very fast too. It's good to see him running with the young guns in Europe.