1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 2013 WR300 spooge and suspension...

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by ntiguy85, Jan 21, 2014.

1. ntiguy85 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 husqvarna wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 yamaha fz6
    I've got 15 hours on it now and love it...but with all the great things there are a couple of downfalls I've found. The only thing I've done to it is put a JD jet kit in it and played with the needles a little. With the stock jetting it was noticeably fat especially on the bottom end. So I ordered the JD jet kit like everyone suggested. I followed the directions exactly to start with jetting changes and it did clean it up considerably, but it still felt a little sluggish especially once I got higher up in elevations. So I tried the next recommended needle and clip (white needle and I believe 4th clip position). That change made the mid range softer with a little more hit once up on the pipe and not quite as fat when I started climbing up in elevation, so I'm happy with the jetting for now. The plug is a nice coffee color with some creamer in it haha. But I cannot get this thing to stop puking out of the exhaust. I know some bikes do it more than others, but his thing runs down the muffler and drips all over the swing arm and chain within about an hour of time on the meter every time I go out. It's a mess for sure and reading some information it can be due to jetting but it feels like I've got that dialed in now but no change in the amount of spooge haha. I'm running Maxima K2 @ 40:1. I'm wondering if my muffler (stock) packing is saturated but its been doing this since new so idk. Suggestions?? Ok now to the suspension...I want to say I know the bike is an off-road bike but I do ride some motocross as well with a friend of mine. The stock settings in the manual seem to work really well for out here where I ride out here in CA (rocky, hard pack with some sand on top). The place I have some problems is on the track. I've adjusted the clickers and I'm able to get a decent feel and traction it just seems like I either blow through the stroke or get a harsh feeling, I'm having a hard time getting a happy medium I guess. I also get pretty wicked head shake, damn near tank slappers at times lol!! I'm real close to pulling the trigger on RaceTech springs and gold valves and wanted to know if anyone have used these and if it's worth the money?? I know this is a long post but thanks for you guys responses :)
  2. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    Work the pilot jet! It's to blame for most spooge. Go down a size or two and see how it feels. If you go too lean you'll know it, just go back up in size. I run K2 at 36:1 and have very little spooge, absolutely none dripping onto the swingarm.

I had LTR do my suspension, he's on the West coast and knows all about Huskies.
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Mine slobbers too, even though I have it rejetted. I have thought about repacking the muffler, and that will probably help out, but I mix at 60 to 1 and do a lot of low speed riding, so my exhaust will probably continue to drip all over everything.:excuseme:

I have not experienced any head shake on my bike, but found it to be oversprung for my weight, and in need of more high speed float for the rocks and such. The Racetech stuff is good quality, and every bike that I installed it on turned out very nicely. I did however, have my 300 (and 125) revalved without a kit, by Precision Concepts.
  4. smadams68 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sounds like you have a good understanding on the jetting, I like to run a little rich on the low end on two smokers (not husky specific), seems to help torque as I spend most of my time chugging off camber and tight turns. Many people with the huskies will say the Husky Mikuni is very temper mental (sensitive to temps and elevation). I have always ridden 2 strokes, and all my bikes spooge. If I ran the bike a little higher in the rev's, and warmer temps outsides, the higher combustion chamber temps would likely help my spooge problems. I try to get by with turning the fuel screw during seasonal temp changes but of late I just change jets one size. I like to change the silencer packing once a year, its cheap, and definitely needed if your bike was fat from the start. Like Dirt Dame, I have had good luck with Race tech stuff, but in the later years I have just had the suspension valved for my type of riding, and make sure my springs are in the ball park and sags are good. Trying to get a bike set up for sharp edged rocks, ledges, and roots like I ride while attempting to tune for slower suspension speeds and higher G's with moto tracks will be near impossible. It will always be a trade off for such different worlds, but not suggesting improvements toward versatility cant be made. My guess is that you can tweak all you want, but eventually you will have your suspension reworked to cater to the balance of your wants. Your suspension issues are not husky specific.
    Motosportz likes this.
  5. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    How much do you weigh? Have you measured your sag? You might need different springs. The other thing you can try to help with bottoming is raising the oil level a bit, try 10cc.

The biggest value in Gold Valves is you get access to RaceTech's valving database and tech support. The valves themselves don't really function better than stock (but they look cool). It's a good way for someone who isn't comfortable just winging it to DIY their suspension.

Getting suspension to work on the track and trail is hard. Before you firm up the valving, I'd look into springs and/or oil level. I tried to make my WR work in both places, and I eventually sort of gave up because keeping it from bottoming on the track was negatively effecting my ability to race in the woods.
    smadams68 likes this.
  6. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph
    look on the bright side of it: WR300 spooge lubes chains - better chain life. :notworthy::thumbsup:

Mine spooges too. Same needle/clip position. May fiddle with PJ but she's not an easy starting bike by any means when cold. So far 32:1 has reduced spooge and made it start easier too. Shout brand stain remover cleans spooge up - until the next ride anyway.
    Dirtdame likes this.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Same here. Also spooge is not an issue just messy. Means your motor is well lubed.