1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2013 TXC310 -drain hose bypass?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by guscycle, Dec 28, 2017.

1. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '99 Husky CR250, '07 Husky WR125,
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 Husky SMR450, '98 Husky Scooter
    Since the 2010 TC250 I have doesn't use the frame drain back hose system but vents to frame, Any foreseeable reason I can't get rid of that lower drain back hose on my TXC310 and use a standard drain plug and washer like the TC? ...was actually thinking of removing valve cover vent hose from frame and adding a K&N vent filter on it instead. THANKS IN ADVANCE
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    you could... but why? with your current system any liquid oil re-condensed will run back into the head- as it should. I'm guessing your frame is vented to the airbox- which I like. The TC is vented to the air/ground.

This is a lot cleaner to the outside of the motor too.

It's not a huge deal either way though- so if you're wedded to the K&N... go for it.
  3. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have replaced the left side vent hose twice and it keeps kinking after several months and it has been suggested by others that any restriction can be cause for excess crank case internal pressure and when in extreme heat conditions( which is the norm in Florida-avg. temps around 95-100 degrees) and tight trail conditions, a weak sealing clutch slave piston causes a loss of clutch operation until trails open up and allow a moment of cool down. Trying to make the TXC as bullet proof as possible.
  4. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    i do not know which (of the 3? 2?) hoses is the left side vent hose... but re-route it, if it's getting pinched.

and unless it's totally pinched off- you crankcase pressure is good.

weirdly, there are 40 other states that have higher max temps than Florida. It's rarely cold (ok, it snowed yesterday in Jacksonville) but also it rarely gets above 100. Lightning and humidity? yep- go to Florida; but temperature extremes? pretty much any western state will have normal yearly highs that beat the record highs down that way.

I pretty much quit riding at 90-95° even though it's pretty low humidity- so I could not imagine riding in 95%/95°. And in SoCal (& NorCal valleys) the riding season is anytime that AIN'T summer. OTOH, if you don't go further than 20-30 miles inland... anyplace from Santa Barbara to San Diego has Florida weather year-round ('cept for the humidity) but not much legal riding anymore.

....whoops- I got sidetracked and turned it into a weather screed. sorry. There was a CH'er last year that insisted that he needed special oil because of the extreme temps in Florida; he managed to get under my skin.

back to crank case venting: really, it's not a huge deal either way. if you have the K&N already- go for it. even though I'm not a fan, there is nothing really wrong with it. Be glad you don't have a 449/511 if you don't like ventilation issues.

good luck.
  5. NYCMX Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 TE310R,13 Strada,
    Other Motorcycles:
    1977 Rm125,78 Rm125, 80 RM125...KTM
    Down here in Fla. we ride most of the summer. Sometimes it's around 105 and humid, pretty brutal. Tomorrow it's gonna be around 50 so I plan on riding my 310 at Croom Off road park all day.
    guscycle likes this.
  6. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have considered the same mod.

Just an observation but my 2010 TE-250 without the drain back hose can pump quite a bit of oil out the vent tube (or sucked into the airbox) at hi-rpm running. So much so I have to watch the level.

The 310 is the same motor with a bigger piston and stroke and I bet it could pump even more oil out.

I also think the two frames are different to the extent that the vent to atmosphere on the TC and 2010 year model is higher meaning the new frames will drain even more oil out due to the configuration.

If you open the hose to atmosphere, please watch the oil level carefully and let us know what happens.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  7. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Made the effort and routed a hose from valve cover to KN vent filter(Left everything else in tack and securely plugged all hole just in case this doesn't work out). Fresh oil filter and Mobil1 Euro spec 0-40w oil ,14 hours on meter and no oily mess anywhere ..so far ,so good, but temps have only been between 70-85 degrees. Believe me when I say that it gets freakin' hot down here in summer, the heat is brutal combined with air thick humidty...especially when you're an old fart like me. If you believe in that heat index thing, most air temps may register at 100 but heat index can rise it to feel like 115 or more...and that's even buying some time in the woods! I don't venture out onto MX tracks like my son during the summer, direct sun is out of the question for this old guy!.... I am amazed how many Pro's will come here to train just to be in this heat...
  8. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That's good news!

I would have thought it would blow oil everywhere.

It's been a few weeks, still all good?